1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleveland bank heist solved, 52 years later

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Or made up? Randele wasn't his real last name.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Oh, right. Was a bit slow this morning.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The man lived near the location where the 1968 heist movie “The Thomas Crown Affair,” starring Steve McQueen, was filmed.

I stumbled across that movie a while back and was underwhelmed. Maybe the remake was better?

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I read his obituary and the comments. One of them wasfrom someone who claimed to be his high school lab partner. I wonder ow that worked if he changed names.

As for finding a job he appeared to have been a car salesman. I think there are many dealers that do not check references. I invested in a company that owned a bunch of car dealerships. They acquired another dealer and decided to run background checks on the prospective employees. One/third of the staff of the acquired dealer was terminated.

6. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

I googled "Ruthabeth" and found a marriage notice for a Ruthabeth Krueger to an Edward Conrad. Seeing as this guy's real last name was Conrad, I assume he used his real parents first names throughout his new life.

cyclingwriter2 and Mngwa like this.
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Something else about this that likely wouldn't happen today. You'd be hard pressed to find a bank with that much cash on hand on a regular basis.

maumann likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It can be done but it is far more difficult. Probabl
    Because he told his family.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It was a while back, and it was stolen on a Friday - the story said they didn't catch it till he didn't come in the next Monday. Banks have more cash on hand on Fridays because it's payday, and I'm certain that was much more prevalent back then. No electronic deposits of paychecks, etc.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yep, and that's why I said it would be different today than it was five decades ago. There is no reason for a bank to have that much cash sitting on a pallet in the vault.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Agrees.

[​IMG]

tea and ease, Gutter and Tighthead like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted