1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleveland advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Mar 15, 2011.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

The Flats look like a Scooby Doo ghost down.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Melt. Friends swear by it. When I was there last summer, it was closed on the Fourth. (Boo.)

There are a couple nice bars near the arena and ballpark, mostly on Fourth Street. I think we tipped a few back at Harry Buffalo.

Panini's is a good place for a pre-game bite.

EDIT: How could I forget about the Winking Lizard? If only for the name. On Prospect Avenue East, couple doors down from Panini's.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

EATS:

Melt Bar & Grilled in Lakewood is the one place I make sure to eat at whenever I visit The Cleve.

My #2 place is Angelo's in Lakewood. The baked potato pizza alone is worth a visit. If your stay happens to stretch into Monday they have half-price pizzas [dine-in only].

West Side Market also has some great eats.

Beyond that perhaps you might find these tourism videos to be educational:

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm also in Cleveland this weekend. I'm going to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and personally thank them for leaving Rush out.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good stuff so far, thanks.

We're staying at the Hyatt Regency Arcade place on Superior. Looks like there's a shit load of places right around that area, too. Looks like the back of the hotel dumps us out onto the Fourth Street alleyway or whatever with all the bars and restaurants. Like a 5-minute walk to the area, which is sweet.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I suggest joining me and at least one other SportsJournalists.com regular at the games in Tucson. Shorts only; no long pants.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Junkie....don't worry. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame interests me about as much as herpes does. (which is to say none, for those wondering). And I'll be there for the basketball tournament. More specifically, to watch Mason beat Villanova and get trounced by Ohio State. I mean, upsets never happen in the tournament, right? :)

It's been a while since I've been to Cleveland, but I do remember that I had an outstanding time. Way, way better than I expected.

Also, it looks like the Mason fan base will be gathering at The Clevelander before the game Friday. That place any good?

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If I were going to Cleveland, and I'm not, this would be at the top of my list.

I haven't been to Cleveland since 1995 or '96.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's my first trip to Cleveland since 2000. Back then, the Flats weren't a Scooby Doo ghost town.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Had to know that one was coming.

Yes, the Pro Football Hall of Fame is cool. Make the trip if you have the time.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Speaking as the guy from the Cleveland outing who got to Melt, let me say this: Go to Melt. I had to wait more than an hour for my food, because the location I went to (Lakewood) was still pretty new, but well worth it. Had their monthly special, which should be on the regular menu but isn't, called the Firecracker Chicken: blackened chicken, avocado, grilled pineapple and pepper jack. Awesome.

Also you gotta order this: http://www.meltbarandgrilled.com/melt-challenge/

12. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Ryan:
    Your hotel is awesome. Clevelander is good. Lots of bars right around there. Great Lakes Brewing is a short, easy drive over the Lorain Avenue bridge into the Ohio City neighborhood. I'd highly recommend it for lunch on an off day or something. Or, at the Clevelander, try Dortmunder or Conway's, in honor of March 17.

Though a word of caution: If you're coming in Thursday during the day, downtown traffic will be a clusterF because of STPD parade. But after 6 or so it should clear up.

Enjoy the city! As the guys, inlcuding Ron, found on the outing trip, the reputation doesn't really fit.

Draft saved Draft deleted