1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clemens coverage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigRed, Jun 11, 2006.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Watching the Roger Clemens comeback in Corpus Christi on Fox Sports Southwest (those of you outside the SW with good satellite packages can probably find it).... but also checked out the Corpus Christi newspaper and noticed something interesting.
    They've had good coverage of the Clemens appearance, of course, but also noticed that they send their minor-league beat writer on the road - Little Rock, San Antonio, Tulsa, all over the Texas League.
    How rare is this, in these days of shrinking budgets and staffs?
    Good for the Caller-Times.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Isn't the Corpus Christi franchise relatively new? That might explain some of it ...

3. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Yeah, Corpus is in its second year. But yes, the writer does travel. Wouldn't be a bad little gig.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Isn't Eva Longoria from Corpus Christi?

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Thanks for the answer..... by the way, Roger was real impressive tonight. 10 K's and one hit in five innings.
    He's ready...

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Final line for Rajah.... 11 K's, 1 hit in six innings, 52 strikes and 21 balls in 73 pitches.
    Pretty impressive.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Retire ... un-retire
    Retire ... un-retire
    Yada, yada, yada ...
    (I'm not a big Clemens fan)

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

miller high school

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I only know that because it was i GQ this month; story on her and her boy scout.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

It's not a bad reporting gig, but I also think they scale down in the second half of the season, not as many road games.

Guy who covers the Hooks also covers the Rayz (minor league hockey team). Sweet gig...I mean Corpus' two pro teams and he gets em both.

But you know as I recall about a year or two ago Corpus posted openings over an over, and I think after a year or so of no or bad responses they gave up and just adjusted. I could be wrong. I'm sure if I am a Corpus writer will correct me.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Neither am I but my fantasy team is dying for his return. (was hungover/passed out at the time ofthe draft and I apparently automatically selected. Kept him on the hope he would un-retire) Currently sitting 12 out of 12 teams and it's not even close.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The Caller-Times is one very nice newspaper, if you've never read it or seen it. I applied there a couple of times. And if you've never been to Corpus, it's like working next door to Heaven.

Draft saved Draft deleted