1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleaning up the Quote: Wash Post Ombudsman faults ex-Reporter Howard Bryant

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Aug 13, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

So someone actually drops "mofo" and "shit" in all your quotes? Every single one of them? Because I see great usable quotes on TV every single freaking day.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Again, it completely depends... The best quotes we get usually come when the TV cameras aren't around...

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well I'm sorry if those are your best quotes.

There have been plenty of times when I've gotten a great quote at its core, but I just couldn't make it work. So I didn't use it. I'm not willing to change a quote just because it's catchy.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Then paraphrase.

Sometimes I wish we did print every single "uh," "ah," "y'know" and "mos' defnitlee" along with some of the stupid things coaches actually say.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

When Bryant changed 'doing' in the real quote to 'going through'... That's where he truly went too far.

I'm with Frank and IJAG. Why not write it this way:

Portis said he doesn't know what anyone else feels, thinks or does, and that "the only thing I know is what's going on in Clinton Portis's life."

Maybe it doesn't have the same flair, but it's real, and you still get Portis using himself in the 3rd person a la Rickey.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I love that, Lugs. I'm not usually keen on partial quotes (one of our writers WAY overuses them) but in that case, it works perfectly.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Exactly. He didn't just clean up, he changed it.

Had he changed

"I don't know how nobody feel, I don't know what nobody think, I don't know what nobody doing, the only thing I know is what's going on in Clinton Portis's life," to

"I don't know how nobody feels, I don't know what nobody thinks, I don't know what nobody's doing, ....

he could have cleaned it up while still keeping the sense of the thing.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Thanks, IJAG! :)

9. Mizzougrad96

I would agree with that...

10. Don't edit quotes for grammatical purposes. For whatever reason, but especially not for those given by Howard.
    Period.
    End of fucking story.

11. Mizzougrad96

You know it's not that simple... We would like to think it is, but it's not...

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This is actually an interesting discussion. Here's something else. Some of us don't use tape recorders, at least not all the time. I will use one on a feature or mid-week story that I'm going to have plenty of time to write.

I don't often use one while writing a gamer on deadline.

And I can tell you, for a fact, that by simply taking notes in shorthand on a notepad, I've failed to quote people verbatim on numerous occasions.

I've never, to my knowledge, got something just flat wrong. But I'm sure I've turned in quotes that would have violated the Post's policy.

So, should I be fired, I wonder?

Of course, on the occasions I have used a recorder, I've noticed that many of the quotes the SID staff provides on the quote sheet wouldn't past muster with the WaPo either.

Draft saved Draft deleted