1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CLE vs LA @ MKE

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Apr 9, 2007.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

well, that's the logical approach. why tampa opens at new york instead of vice versa and the twins are in chicago (for the second series) instead of the other way around is just beyond me. MLB needs to keep as many northern teams as possible on the road the first 10 days or so.

on the other hand you might make the football argument that the home team has the advantage with its weather. but that doesn't make much sense. the white sox don't have any more advantage than the twins playing in 31 degree comiskey in april.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

For the most part that's right, although this year, it may not have mattered. A good chunk of the country got hit by cold weather. I mean, it was in the 20s and 30s in Kansas City the past weekend.

And I think a lot of Cleveland's snow difficulties was more lake effect snow.

A better solution would probably be to start the season a week later.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Better cut some games somewhere too, or we'll be playing into November.

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Your ilk await you:

http://bandwagonboy.proboards18.com/index.cgi

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Didn't MLB try to mandate this within the last decade? If memory serves, the northern teams complained because it put them at a competitive disadvantage early and the warm-climate teams complained because they'd get an inordinate about of road games during the pennant races.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Rambo, do you even glance at your messages before you click 'Post?' Seriously, this post makes absolutely no sense. Do you even care that you appear to be illiterate on a message board full of journalists?

(I know, I shouldn't take the bait from whichever regular poster this is.)

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

This whole movement to not have games in Cleveland (and other cities) seems like a knee-jerk reaction to me. Were people complaining about this last year? Or the year before? Or the year before that? (And so on) Of course, the baseball season used to begin around April 15 or so - and they still played 162 games. Blame the union and the owners for not wanting doubleheaders. Hell, I'm all for going back to 154 games is the season could end before ... well, before it's snowing in these "northern" cities in late October.

As far as moving the games out of Cleveland, blame in part the unbalanced schedule which has teams visiting another city only once a year.

Scott Miller addressed this issue as well (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10116459):

"For one thing, fans in cities like Cleveland, Detroit and Pittsburgh shouldn't be penalized by having to wait until mid-to-late April for their home openers every year.

"For another, that would mean the schedule likely would flip-flop in September, and the warm weather teams would have to play an inordinate number of road games down the stretch while fighting for a playoff spot -- and those cold-weather teams would have the benefit of extra stretch-run home games.

"And, it was 72 degrees and gorgeous on opening day in Cincinnati on Monday, and 62 and beautiful in Detroit. You win some, you lose some. And if you've got tickets to Jacobs Field this week, bring mittens and a scarf. "

8. Bubbler

Trivia question. Besides the Braves and both incarnations of the Brewers (the 1901 Brewers will not be forgotten!), what other team played home games in Milwaukee?

You have 10 minutes ...

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

The Packers? ;) :) Out of sheer location, I'm going to guess the White Sox.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

A good solution would be to fit most of the newer northern stadiums with retractable roofs like Milwaukee has, but you're talking a $$$ issue here and I'm guessing it would be cost-prohibitive in most cases.

I agree with some on the board who said it's probably a one-year aberration, but it still sucks if you had a ticket to the game and it got called. Still, I'm holding onto it and going down in mid-June to watch a game. The snow should be just flurries by then... :)

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The White Sox played some games in County Stadium back before the Pilots moved there.

12. Bubbler

Correct!

Also correct! The games were in 1968 and 1969. The White Sox were rumored to be Milwaukee-bound when the games were successful (the Sox Milwaukee games outdrew the Chicago games). Selig allegedly had an agreement in principle to buy the Sox, but MLB owners blocked it since they didn't want Chicago to be a NL-only city.

Thank godness as far as I'm concerned!

Draft saved Draft deleted