1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clay Travis on the most searched sportswriters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon, May 24, 2011.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

http://claytravis.net/wordpress/?p=1339

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Headline: "Clay Travis Reports That Clay Travis Needs To Get PAID, Motherfuckers!"

Using Reilly's salary as a gauge of online sportswriter worth is like saying every pitcher who is better than Barry Zito deserves to make more than $18 million a year.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Younger consumers (love that phrase for readers, says it all) want to read columnists they've seen on TV. Younger consumers who DO read local columnists, however, might actually, you know BUY the local paper someday.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Sabre metrics really peaked in 1999, but the concept lost steam when Brett Hull scored that disputed goal.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd never heard of Clay Travis before this thread. I guess I should Google him.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Clay was on my crew at FanHouse. Great guy. Miss working with him. And everything we posted of his drew good traffic. We were all pretty much amazed he wasn't one of the ones kept in the transition.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Also the parasite who thought it would be funny to ask Tim Tebow if he's still a virgin..

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's b/c every younger "consumer" thinks he knows more about the team than the local columnist.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Except he's convinced he's the best writer ever and his stuff doesn't stink. Aside from an ego as massive as the Grand Canyon, he's all right.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Travis's post is obviously self-promoting. But I think in today's economic environment any sports journalist who passes on a chance to build his brand name is a troglodyte, so my comment is offered as praise.

I agree with his larger point that sports writing will eventually become driven by metrics. For example, if I was ESPN management I might think about pushing Forde up to the home page rather than Wojciechowski based upon the number of hits each receives.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm always surprised how little time I spend on ESPN.com. Usually chock full of previews of stuff airing on ESPN, off-field stuff about players injuries etc. on the front page - but nothing really newsy.
    I tend to spend more time with SI columnists (King, Mandel, JoPo), I dig Wetzel, and I'll sometimes pick something off of Real Clear Sports.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Travis has a good premise, but including himself made him seem like a whiny brat. And, while he's very talented, he's always come across as a whiny brat. So that makes sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted