1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classy question?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flip Wilson, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Mike DeArmond ain't exactly "junior." Dude's been around the Star since spnited oozed youthful exuberance, and he was an editor for a while (pretty high up, I think) before moving back to the Mizzou beat.

I can see how people think it was out of line, but knowing DeArmond, I'm neither surprised nor appalled. He's an interesting character with a unique way of covering his beat.

Snarky? Damn right. Unprofessional? Maybe slightly. Firable offense? Hell no. This question didn't hurt anyone.

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Kid's at Baylor. It's a Baptist school, no? Everybody's free to be a douchebag, but counter-punching a God quote from a kid at a religious school strikes me as pretty silly. It's one thing if Michael Beasley turns into Al Sharpton, but we might want to let the genuine kids be genuine lest we make everybody a bunch of jaded pricks who are miserable to deal with.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The chump who was trying to piss off a player is too big a pussy to write that he's the one who asked it.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I expect professionalism from the people who work for me. Show the lack thereof and start packing.

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

It's a notebook. Why would you mention who specifically asked it, and why does it matter to the readers who asked it? There is no point in making yourself the story, especially in a 2-inch note.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The way this has been presented, the guy was making himself a story by smirking and walking out. It's another reason for readers to believe that reporters have an agenda and aren't interested in presenting unbiased material.

7. Lester Bangs

Yup, he already made himself the story by throwing out his own "set and spike" scenario as an actual pice of news as opposed to what it was ... him being a douchebag. Did he really believe this to be news? Or even moderately interesting? He was entertaining himself and it wasn't even terribly original.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yes, because god knows that's exactly the point I was trying to make. ::)

Is the blue font even necessary?

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

For those of you who don't know Mike DeArmond, calling him a douchebag is way out of line.
    You don't like a specific act, fine. But let's not start calling personal attacks because of it.
    To add on to Barsuk's comments, Mike has been covering Missouri on and off since the late 60s/early 70s, and he's seen probably just about everything.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I don't think being old is much of an excuse for being rude, especially when we're working in very public jobs.

I would think the editors over at the KC Star should be pretty pissed that DeArmond showed his ass.

11. Lester Bangs

To be clear, I did not say he was a douchebag, simply that he was "be(ing) a douchebag," which I believe is at least as fair as his question to Carter.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I'll take 10 guys willing to ask any question at any time, rather than 10 guys slobbering all over the esteemed wisdom of a 21-year-old kid.
    And who's to say he wasn't walking about of the Baylor interview room because he was done getting quotes? Oh wait, that'd be too logical. Nah, it's better to just say he's a douchebag.

Draft saved Draft deleted