1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classy question?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flip Wilson, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

SURELY the person asking that question didn't go to Mizzou's J-school. They'd NEVER do anything that wasn't perfect.

2. I'm religious, but I also leave that stuff in my personal life and out of my work, so I think we agree on that.
    I wouldn't use a religious quote unless it was for a feature that made a point of a player's beliefs or if it was something really extreme (I just want to thank Satan for giving me the strength to kill babies today).
    But I can't imagine ANYONE making it an issue like this "reporter" apparently did. Talk about not trying to be part of the story, dayum.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

No, that's not all he said. He began his answer with that, and then went on to talk about the team winning 20 games; how his team didn't have much energy in the first half; and how he and some other shooters have the green light to throw up 3s when the opportunity presents itself. So he definitely answered the questions posed to him.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

The reporter sounds like a jackass.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I assumed he had.

6. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

True story ...

Post-game high school press conference. Post-season tournament. Church school won.

"Blah, blah, blah. God was just on our side tonight," point guard from Team A said.

Reporter: "So you're saying God was against Team B."

"Yeah," point guard replied.

Best lead ever. Church school beat the daylights out of public school in the state title game. We're talking a 60-something to single-digit thrashing.

The column lede from the local writer (I didn't write it):

So much for Christian charity.

Both are two of my favorite stories.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nice work, blogger.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

How can you know it's a "stupid religious cliche?"

I am not the most spiritual guy in the world, but saying that "God helped me do this," is no different than crediting your parents, your teammates or your coach -- if you really believe.

But this thread is less about that and more about someone being an asshat.

I give the kid credit.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Tangent.

Basketball game between local public high school and local all-boys' Catholic high school.

The Catholic-school kids are chanting something about "God is on our side."

The public school kids respond:

"We've got girls. We've got girls."

10. spud

spud Member

He was. He prefaced his question with something like, "OK Tweety, I just have to ask this question."

No, you fucking don't. It was a stupid question.

Writer was Mike DeArmond from the KC Star, by the way.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Doesn't shock me at all. DeArmond's a pretty good guy, but my guess is thats not the first time he's come back with that response.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Don't know the guy.

But I kind of vote for jackass.

Although ... it might be different if he had that kind of relationship with a player. If it was someone you covered regularly and knew well and could get away with a little repartee with, asking this in a JOKING manner might not be inappropriate.

Draft saved Draft deleted