1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic/ iconic movies you've never seen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jun 15, 2015.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm not a frequent movie-goer and don't watch a lot of TV/DVDs or do much DVR-ing, so I've only seen 52 of the ones on the AFI list.

The biggest miss for me, as for a few others, is Citizen Kane. But that does happen to be one that I've got on DVR right now, so I will be watching it sometime soon.

I'd like to put in a word to heyabbott for Schindler's List. It's an affecting movie without being overly horrible, if that's makes sense. I found it actually kind of understated, in an effective way. Maybe that's because it's in black-and-white, but I found it one of the more watchable movies about the horrors of the Holocaust, and it was well worth seeing.

Flip Wilson, even for a relative non-movie enthusiast, that's quite a list of ones you haven't seen. Kind of surprising.

And, these are just opinions, but here goes: I generally love science fiction, but 2001: A Space Odyssey was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. I also hated Network.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I have never seen "E.T.," nor do I have a desire to.
    Have never seen any of the Star Trek, Star Wars or Battlestar Gallantica movies.
    I've never sat through a James Bond movie, nor a John Wayne flick.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You must be very young, or even less of a movie buff than some of us. :)

Most of your list, I can understand, particularly if you're not a sci-fi fan. I actually don't think I've ever known anyone who has never seen any John Wayne movie, though. That's amazing.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There was a Battlestar Galactica movie and I missed it?!

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Turned 51 a couple of months ago. But I am not a movie fan by and stretch of the word. And I just don't have the attention span to sit through a movie.

My wife loves movies, but regrets begging me to watch with her because she can't stand my color commentary. I'd invariably get bored with it and go get on the Internet.

I have my favs, but most of them never sniffed an Academy.

Never liked John Wayne, but what's weird is I love most of the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns.

Starman likes this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Them's fightin' words, pilgrim.

[​IMG]

Fill your hands, you son of a bitch!

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I never saw "Schindler's List" either, but I saw Seinfeld making out with his girlfriend at "Schindler's List."

So, yeah, that is a memorable flick.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You should watch The Searchers then. (It's on the list). It's a John Wayne movie, but he's more of an asshole anti-hero than a flag-waving hero. Considered by many the best Western made.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agree on 2001, but loved Network.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I've seen 25 of those movies.
    Only one in the Top 10 I've seen is The Wizard of Oz. In the Top 20, only others I've seen are: Star Wars, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and It's a Wonderful Life.
    That means I have NOT seen lots of movies that are considered classics - including 16 of the Top 20

11. That's one of my least-favorite JW movies.
    I recommend the Quiet Man, Roster Cogburn (of course) or (one of my personal favs) Angel and the Bad Man.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I'm surprised how many people haven't seen The Godfather. Add me to the list. I thought for sure I'd be laughed at if I brought that here. But I want to see them. Just never have.

Draft saved Draft deleted