1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

classic herm edwards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He is a very poor game coach, but does the other important stuff well enough to win alot.

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Can a 'very poor' in game coach take teams to the playoffs 2 out of his last 3 years?

If he's 'very poor' what does that make Marty? Very poor? That's like a D on a report card. Maybe a D-.

The kind of grade reserved for the Rich Kotites of the word.

And I just love how Vermeil is 'off the hook' because he won a Super Bowl. Well, that solves everything. He has a title. Whoop-de-damn do. What'd he do at his next stop in Kansas City?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, he was comparing to last season, not two seasons ago. And the Chiefs did have a better record last year. Are you actually going to say luck didn't play a role in a 10-6 team missing the playoffs while a 9-7 squad made it the following year?

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Yes, because it doesn't matter all that much, and more often than not won't make a huge difference, especially if you have good coordinators. Torre is not a good in-game coach, but is good enough at the other stuff that he's a great manager. Belicheck is as good as has ever been at the in game stuff, but was bad enough at everything else to have been a failure in Cleveland.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You didn't ask about two years ago. You asked about last year, and I pointed out that they went 10-6 in a season where the 11-5 Steelers got the last wild card berth. Bad luck.

As for coaching performances, Edwards turned to Huard for the same reason Vermeil turned to LJ last year -- an injury. The loss at Miami I can look past. The loss at Cleveland is downright embarrassing, though, given that the Browns' players gave up on Crennel in four different games. They never should have lost that one.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's good to know that the all-powerful Whitlock has "explained" Herm's little tirade in the KC Star today.
    I'll choose not to read that and just remain in the dark about how slick Herm is. ::)

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

her,'s slick, all right. k.c. made the playoffs despite losing its sraeting qb for a good stretch. i take no issue with that.

i began this thread only 'cause what herm is best at is oratory skills -- yet he fumbles the language fairly often. says we were "flustrated" instead of frustrated or flustered. says "i wasn't born at night...," blowing that expression. i just find it humorous.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

There you go again, Shockey... being a racist :eek: ;D :D

JW will be here soon to raise his pimp hand.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

OK, Herm, you didn't BACK in. You LUCKED in. That better?

10. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Whoops, meant Vermeil's team last year. My bad.

Disagree about 'bad luck.' Completely.
    It could be argued that the AFC this season was stronger than ever. How many teams had .500 records going into the final 2 weeks of the season? I believe 12 (feel free to check that one out).

Hey, if you don't want to give credit where credit is due, fine, don't. But let's not call it 'bad luck' that the Chiefs missed last year. Because then it sounds like you're saying they are lucky to be in this year.

Is anyone saying it was 'bad luck' the Broncos and Bengals are out this year?

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Sounds like the bitter rumblings of a Broncos fan whose team couldn't beat the lowly 49ers -- a team KC blasted 41-0, btw -- at vaunted Mile High (or whatever the hell it's called now) in a game it had to have. Remember, the Mastermind wanted KC to win. the Mastermind wanted the pressure to be on his team. the Mastermind messed up.

Yes, KC's playoff berth is an abherattion. But it doesn't change the fact that KC won, and the other three teams didn't. At home. With the playoffs in the balance.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Tom Coughlin meet Herman Edwards, you two have a lot in common

Draft saved Draft deleted