1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

classic herm edwards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 1, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A_F once again showing why he needs the occasional smack upside the head.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Exactly. The Chiefs are in because Denver shit the bed. That's kind of the entire point.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Herm's successful? He's a .500 career coach, with a career losing playoff record. He's Wayne Fontes, Jim Fassel, Jerry Glanville or Walt Michaels. He's not even Sam Wyche.

Whether he's black or white, he's a medicore coach with delusions of self importance. Just like hundreds of others.

Herm's nothing special, but he's covered like he is. Why is that?

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I wouldn't say he gets a ton of attention anywhere other than on this board, but to the extent that he does, it's probably because he plays to the media, with good sound bites, etc. "You play to win the game!" and so forth. He's similar to Glanville in that he's an interesting enough character that it obscures the fact that he's just an OK coach.

I would call him successful, though. He makes the playoffs more often than not, and although he has a losing record, I don't think he's ever lost a playoff game he was favored to win (I could be wrong there), and he's won a couple of surprising ones, like the one in San Diego and the rout of the Colts a few years back.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

It's always fun to see Denver shit the bed. When KC is the direct beneficiary of that, well... it makes me smile. :)

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When you lose your top two QBs in a matter of minutes, your season is over. They did the right thing in the preseason by signing Fiedler and ran into some awful luck. It happens. Brooks Bollinger was not an NFL QB and I'm shocked that he found a roster spot this year. They could have run the wishbone last year -- it didn't matter. Given how bad they were last year, the last thing that a fan wanted to hear was Herm flirting with KC or his need for a longer contract extension from that Jets.

Herm is a personable guy. Dungy let his assistants speak freely to the media and Herm was a go to quote with the Bucs. He probably comes across great in an interview as well. His players seem to like him as there was basically no public grumbling during his tenure with the Jets.

He also sounds like an idiot with some of his motivational nonesense -- but we don't have to believe it, the players do. Didn't someone once say abou Parcells that he wants his players to have an IQ between 80 and 100. If you are too smart, you don't buy into the nonsense.

He is a terrible in game coach, especially on clock management issues. That leads to the perception that he isn't that bright, which then leads to discussions of race issues.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Parcell still does that, it's because he learned it from George Young during his Giants days. They wanted players smart enough to learn the playbook, but intellectually acurious enough to accept it as gospel. Aside from his physical limitations, George W. Bush would make a very good player.

8. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Hope all you Hermites out there enjoyed today's game. :D

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You don't have to worry about Herm ever winning the SB, in our lifetimes.

Most of his players love him, and that's a positive in terms of keeping a middle-of-the-road team afloat, but in terms of sustaining, at the next level -- too, too many offensive and game-management holes for that to ever happen.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would have loved to see Kansas City win today, but you just knew ...

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Only thing I regret is I didn't get to see all of it.

Thirteen carries for LJ? Really? Thirteen? Against the worst rush defense in America? Thirteen?

F
    R
    A
    U
    D

Can't wait to see Whitlock clean the corners on this one! ::)

Also can't wait to hear what A_F has to say. Or maybe he'll just wait til September, after a 9-7 win over the Ravens, to come back and defend fradulent Herm.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Colts had 8 and 9 men in the box. It would have been criminal to give him anything more than 13 carries. He only got 32 yards for those 13 carries. He never stood a chance. When a team stacks the line like that, you have to be able to throw on them. And the Chiefs couldn't do it. That wasn't Herm's fault. They were calling the right plays. But that doesn't mean squat when the players can't execute. Trent Green was sacked four times and when he did get the ball off, he was brutal. If you are going to blame Herm, the criticism should be that he didn't go to Damon Huard. But when the criticism is not relying on Damon Huard in a playoff game, it's a pretty safe bet that the coach wasn't the weak link.

Draft saved Draft deleted