1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic Car Shows

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Aug 24, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

On the way home from mass this morning, I stopped at a classic car show that the local Lions Club was putting on in a nearby park.

I have a special bond with the 57 Chevy because it was my dad's first car, brand new, and he met my mom while showing it off (they celebrated their 50th anniversary in early June).

To me and a lot of others, Classic Car shows are quite interesting to attend now because of the cars that are now 35, 40 and 50 years old.

But this thought struck me: What cars from today will be unique enough to be worthy of showing off in 50 years. Or will the fact that they're old and restored or still in great shape be enough?

To me, cars of the 50s are so show-worthy because the 50s was the time that America became so mobile because of the car. Back then, if you had a car, you had something to do -- even if it was just taking it out for a spin.

One 57 Chevy had a neat little setup with a carhop tray hanging off its window with a plastic burger, fries, soda and shake.

So, if you feel like contributing, let's hear your thoughts on both memories of older cars and whether or not any of today's cars will be car-show-worthy in 40 or 50 years?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I can't speak to whether others will consider it a classic, but last year I bought a 1979 Datsun 280ZX because it was my favorite car as a kid.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

The 2006 Camry.

4. old_tony

I loved looking at that car in magazines back then.

But that's kind of my point, too. That car already is 30 years old and many of them are already being shown in car shows.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Old Tony:

You'd be in heaven here in Evansville this week:

http://www.frogfollies.org/

We've got 4,000 classic street rods rolling around town this weekend

6. old_tony

As much as I like the street rods at car shows, I guess I'm more in tune with the cars that were more mainstream.

I think what took away from the auto industry was when they ended the uniqueness of every year.

Back then, a 54 Bel Aire was different from the 55 and a 55 was different from a 56 and a 56 from a 57 and a 58 ...

Today, car models don't change for three or four years. There's not any difference from a 2005 to a 2007. My first new car was an 89 Celica, which looked pretty much just like the 86 Celica.

It's the same thing with just about every auto maker, too. The body style stays the same for four or five years before it's updated. There just isn't anything unique about today's cars.

7. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

[​IMG]

A classic!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I was thinking about this when I saw a '57 Chevy this summer. Its design could not have been any more florid, and yet it is the product of a time associated with stodginess. It seems to me that we have reversed ourselves. Personal expression is more widespread than ever, but the designs of cars could not be any more bland.

9. We is serious generation with serious cars.

10. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I'd get a Subaru WRX and hang on to it.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The best approximation of my car I could find. I also refer to it as my surrogate penis:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

It was my dream to own a black and gold 280ZX with T-tops. Not too late I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted