1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic board games?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by copperpot, May 14, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Monopoly took a damn long time to set up. Games last a while though, unless you played that you could build multiple hotels.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

George: Yeah. What's that?
    Jerry: Oh, it's Risk, it's a game of world domination being played by two guys who can barely run their own lives.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There was a football game I had where you had white offense cards and black defensive cards with transparent windows. You would place the defensive call over the offensive card and four windows would pop up. You would then flick a plastic ball on a metal pole right next to the cards and the ball would bounce up and down. The closest window was the play that happened.

There were about 60-70 different offensive plays, and they were the full plays with blocking schemes and everything. The defensive cards have the movement of the players so you could see how the plays compared to each other.

I tell you, I was such a dork playing that game, but before Atari, it was the sweetest thing ever.

Then once Atari hit, it was three on three football!!!

Tell me there are other 35-45s in here that had that game.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Don't remember that one, but I remember spending loads of time playing Paydirt, an NFL board game put out by SI.

5. 93Devil

What year? I'm thinking of 1978-1981.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, that works. I remember it being big in high school (79-83) among me and my NFL-mad buddies.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

NANA IS A CHEATING WHORE!

8. jps

jps Active Member

I'll echo the Stratego comments ... though the electronic version is far superior.
    Another that I love -- and can't find anywhere now other than on ebay for hundreds -- is Dark Tower. (Anyone else know of this one?)

9. 93Devil

Close. That has dice. Mine had a metal bar and a springs.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

It was called NFL Strategy. There was a thread last week:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/56050/

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Anyone ever play Boobytrap? It had to be the most unsafe game for kids to play in the early 1990s. My grandparents had it and you have different-sized pieces in the middle of the board and they all push back a spring-loaded wood block. The object was to see whose fingers the block would break. It was a viscous game, but fun.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Had a football game with cards for offense and defense, but you rolled dice to determine which plays got selected.

Also had a baseball game (perhaps named Strat-o-matic?) where each player had a circular card that you slipped into a spot that had a spinner. Card was numbered from 1 - 15, where 1 was a home run, 10 and 13 were singles, 7 was a strikeout, 14 a flyout, etc. The size of each numbered section was based on the player; so, someone like Rod Carew had these huge 10 and 13 sections, Aaron would have one of the biggest 1 sections, and the 1 for a guy like Bert Campaneris would be the size of a sewing needle.

Draft saved Draft deleted