1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clark Judge says attitude should keep T.O. out of the HOF

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Aug 27, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Oh, boy...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19928398/terrell-owens-posted-epic-numbers-but-divisive-receiver-far-from-canton-credentials

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If three teams didn't want him when he was at his best, why should the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

I've thought the same thing.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He's clearly one of the top 5 receivers ever.

You could argue, he's #2 after Jerry Rice.

I discount his stats because he played at a time when more guys put up big receiving stats. When you have Marvin Harrison, Isaac Bruce, Randy Moss, Derrick Mason, Tory Holt and Owens all rewriting the record book at the same time, you have to figure the game changed in the 90s / 2000s.

But he was the best among all of them when you combine what he did with his longevity.

So you discount him a bit for the Hall of Fame, too, because he was a pain in the ass who may or may not have had a negative impact on some of the teams he played for because of his attitude.

He's still one of the top 5 receivers ever. I don't see how he doesn't eventually get in.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He was so valuable to his teams that three of them dropped him like a hot potato, while he was racking up HOF numbers. If the guy is so valuable, why could teams not wait to shitcan him?

I'm not fighting a Texas deathmatch over this one, but I think its an interesting argument.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Clark Judge is a dipshit. If we kept all the great athletes who happened to be assholes out of the various Halls of Fame, there'd be a very short list of inductees.

Discount his stats because a handful of other receivers were putting up stats that dwarfed those in previous eras? Pure dipshittery, too. That's a no-win situation for the player, punishing him for being as good -- and in most cases better -- than the other receivers of his era.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You couldn't fill the bathroom of a studio apartment with star athletes that don't have some sort of attitude issues. Being great at something, especially something so lucrative and self-indulgent as playing sports, makes people hard to deal with. When you reach the level of stardom these guys do in this day and age, there's very little chance you'll ever be anything approaching normal ever again.

7. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Mike Furrey, a converted safety, had a 100-catch season in this watered down epoch of NFL offense.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Are you saying Mike Martz is a Hall of Famer?

9. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I'm saying the individual seasons of ''greatness'' don't mean shit.
    I don't like Owens one little bit but the guy balled on one leg in the Super Bowl.
    Judge and others seem to forget that.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Actually, incredibly, Judge isn't forgetting that at all - he's arguing that it isn't nearly as important as being likeable with teammates and compliant with the sporting press.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Last I checked, "pain in the ass" wasn't a disqualifying factor in the PHHOF. Unlike it is in the Baseball HOF.

12. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted