1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clarion-Ledger Ole Miss beat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RustyHampton, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Jesus_Muscatel took me to the proper BBQ place in Starkville. Mmm.

And yes, thumbs up regarding Rusty and the beats at the CL.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

JSU beat provides lots of chances to break news too, mostly because the athletic department is run like a grease fire.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

The only problem with this gig is Gannett. You don't know what the suits are going to do and when they are going to do it..

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Agreed. I'd love to jump on this, but the word "Gannett" causes much trepidation.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

That would definitely be something that must be taken into account, but I don't know that I'd let that be the deciding factor in whether or not to pursue a job at the C-L, especially the Ole Miss beat.

As others have said, that's a very good job that has been the springboard to a lot bigger things for some excellent writers. Oh, and let it hereby be said: Oxford has more beautiful women per capita than any place on earth.

6. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Plus, Rusty is good people.

7. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

The C-L (and sports in particular) has certainly not been immune to the Gannett bloodshed the last couple years. However, without any intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the C-L decision-makers, I'll go out on a limb and say this is probably one of the more secure jobs at the paper. The day they cut the Ole Miss and Mississippi State beats is the day the paper itself goes under.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Maybe secure from layoffs a bit, but furloughs? And to me, Gannett does its best to compromise the strong people there, but to mixed results. It's still a pretty good paper despite Gannett.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

" ... to fill one of two potential positions ..."

I would give Rusty a shot a side with this bet: Neither position gets filled before college football season's first weekend of games.

rb

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Just once for that broadcast. Maybe I'm being too judgmental, as I was there with work and didn't have too much time to myself. Don't get me wrong, I love the south, but I just didn't really enjoy Starkville.

I will agree with the other comment about it not being Fratastic like Oxford, which was nice.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

This, and other comments about towns you are in for only three or four hours never seeing more than a stadium, is stupid. If you are in a town, take the time to REALLY see it. See where people live. Shop. Do that BEFORE judging whether its a good town or a bad town.

12. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

That's what I meant, was layoffs. Dodging furloughs is like trying to dodge a train in a tunnel. Not much you can do about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted