1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clarion-Ledger Miss. State beat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RustyHampton, Aug 12, 2006.

1. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Guys and gals:
    The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Miss., has an opening for a Mississippi State beat writer. The position is based in Starkville. The beat writer is responsible for coverage of all things MSU sports related, with an emphasis on football, men's basketball and baseball. There are other duties as assigned. To apply, e-mail a cover letter, resume and some clips to rhampton@clarionledger.com or mail them to Rusty Hampton, Sports Editor, The Clarion-Ledger, PO Box 40, Jackson, MS, 39201.
    NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
    If you have a question, please e-mail me.
    In your clips, please show examples of news you have broken and enterprise.

Also, our newsroom has the following position open. It is not a sports position but this person will be working closely with the sports department at times, especially on Friday and Saturday nights. If interested, please e-mail Earnest Hart, our assistant managing editor for multimedia, at ehart@jackson.gannett.com.
    ONLINE POSITION. The newsroom has an opening for a night online assistant editor’s position to work with department heads to ensure our Web site is updated throughout the evening. The person in this position will handle multiple tasks, from working with editors to develop content, to scouring faxes and wires, to helping plan and produce multimedia features accompanying our packages. Work schedule will be Tuesday-Saturday, 3-12 p.m.

As for the work schedule on the MSU beat position, if you have to ask, you probably don't need to apply.

Thanks, Rusty Hampton

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Allow me to be the first of what will certainly be several posts touting Rusty.

Great guy, and by all accounts, a great SE.

This is a great job.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Not to beat the Kyle Veazey horse (or drum), but I wouldn't be surprised if he was seriously considered for this job. He knows MSU football (even though he used it to develop his knowledge for the powers of Ole Miss evil), and unless I'm mistaken, has some experience dealing w/ Rusty in the past.
    Either way, this will be a top-notch job for whoever gets it.

I will also second the Rusty Hampton notion. Up-and-up guy who I've never heard a bad word about.

4. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Sweet. Already a Veazey plug. Check's in the mail.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

I do what I can.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Man, the SEC incest on this board is remarkable.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

Haven't really covered the SEC since Veazey graduated, if it makes you feel any better.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've never covered an SEC beat.

9. Ian.R.Rapoport

Ian.R.Rapoport New Member

Speaking of shameless plugs... Let me put in one for this job, which was mine for two years and is still mine for two more weeks.

I'll try not to be too corny. But the only way I can say it is, I could not have had a better experience with this job and with this paper. Seriously. Working with Rusty, as many have said on this board, is tremendous. There is a lot of teaching going on -- at least, I received a lot of teaching at the beginning -- and you will learn all the state's FOI laws very quickly. You will report online, you will blog, and you will write a ton. You will also be given the freedom to develop enterprise, which is another huge focus.

The people you deal with at Mississippi State are mostly accommodating and reasonable, so that's a bonus. Oh, and Starkville is a totally fine place to live. I mean it. I came from New York City and still loved the town. So if this becomes a Starkvegas-hating thread, I'll be offended.

Anyway, that's enough pimping for me. Feel free to send me any questions you may have about this beat, this paper, or anything having to do with anything. You can PM me or send me an email at irapopor@clarionledger.com. I'll have that address for a few more weeks.

--Ian

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

So, can I call you?

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I like this guy already.

12. JFT

JFT Member

I'd like to be the first to recommend Charles Sheppard for this position. Did a bang-up job in Athens, Georgia and has been on the Clarion Ledger copy desk for more than a year now. Shep for Starkville!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted