1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clarion Ledger = Fail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm 3,000 miles from Mississippi, but I do know a lot of papers have cut back on distribution as well as cutting the newshole and staff.

One paper I worked at did that, cutting home distribution in a rural county, figuring the revenue didn't cover the expense. Got a shit-storm of hate mail and restarted it about a month later.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

The C-A stopped delivering to Northern Miss.? I don't think that's a good move on their part.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The funny thing, they have been in not-so-secret talks in the past year or two about taking their printing out of Memphis and moving it east. That always seemed like more of a negotiating tactic with their unions, but it was certainly discussed at high levels.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I call bullshit on this entire thread.

I mean, c'mon, bookstores in Mississippi? :p

5. HejiraHenry

Ask John Grisham.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I call bullshit too.
    I mean, sunning yourself in Jackson?

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

My grandfather, who lived in Columbus, much preferred the Commercial Appeal to the Clarion-Ledger, and until late in his life only subscribed to the Appeal. I think the only reason he finally started getting the Ledger was for the obits. As he used to joke, "as long as I don't see my name in there, then I guess I'm OK."

BTW, HH, we also get the state edition of the Ledger down here, and there have been a couple of rare occasions when some MSU, Ole Miss or USM basketball or baseball games haven't made the state edition.

Can't recall off the top of my head if they've ever not gotten a Big Three football result in on Sunday, though. Perhaps the 7-OT Ole Miss-Arkansas game?

8. HejiraHenry

I always flinch when I think about that game ... I had only been on the desk here 3 or 4 weeks when that went down. My goodness. People kept running from the press room to the news room saying, "What are we gonna do?"

Me: "We're going to wait for the game to end."

That game is the source for one of my immutable rules of life: "If it's the last play and you have to score, throw the ball over the goal line."

9. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

I thought that game ended fairly early, like 8:30 or 9 p.m.?

10. HejiraHenry

Maybe if you were on the West Coast.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well, one of the two Barnes and Noble's in my town no longer sells daily papers.
    I haven't been to the other to check.
    So maybe B&N is getting out of the business of selling daily newspapers?

Anyone else notice the same thing happening in their towns?

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I've been to a few B&Ns where they didn't have the papers sitting out. At one, I went to the counter and asked where they were. They said people were taking them without paying, so they keep them behind the counter. There's probably some parallel there, but I'm too gassy to figure it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted