1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clarion-Ledger drops Southern Miss beat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Dec 10, 2007.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

wait, so you're saying kareem is a white guy? this is a serious question. obviously i've never seen him but assumed, like norman, that someone named kareem would be black

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Kareem Copeland is black.

3. dwnsouth

dwnsouth New Member

He's also not one of the people involved in this move - he left the USM beat in Hattiesburg a few months ago to take the Jackson State beat with the Clarion Ledger.

4. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Probably not the best career move but pulling a Petrino and calling in after the game to say you didn't bother going to the game since your beat was axed would make for a great "how I left my job story." You'd be a hero to many but, may have a tough time getting your next job. If I were leaving the buisness I'd do it!!

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

John Ed Bradley, in his LSU book, recounts being sent to a game in Baton Rouge and being unable, because of his deep-seated "issues" with the program he'd played for, to file an line of copy from the game.

And nobody at the Post seemed to care.

Must have been nice.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Tim Doherty's a friend of mine, from the biz.
    I wish him well, too, in attempts to land on his feet.

And I can't imagine the Ledger not receiving some serious reader backlash and bad P.R. for ditching a beat with the magnitude (in that state) of USM.
    Maybe they will still be doing occasional features and the occasional "big game", like when Calipari comes to Hattiesburg or USM baseball hosts a regional.
    Can't see them completely relying on the H'Burg American for every inch of Southern Miss copy.

7. HejiraHenry

Well, the Tennessean does the same thing in getting(at least some of) their Middle Tennessee State coverage from their sister paper down the road in Murfreesboro.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

From my travels through Jackson and Nashville it seems like USM is a bigger deal in Mississippi than MTSU is in Tennessee. But I might be wrong.

9. HejiraHenry

I wouldn't disagree, andd I went to MT.

But Gannett has a playbook and this kind of thing is right out of the playbook.

10. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Gannett is attempting to model it after what they do in Louisiana with LSU. All five G papers in La. get LSU stuff from one source and then do their own features from time to time etc.

11. CRM

CRM Member

Other examples is Gannett dropping the Purdue beat in Indianapolis' paper to only use Lafayette's. The Green Bay paper does all the Packers stuff for Appleton, as well as the rest of the Gannett group.

In some ways, it makes financial sense, in that two papers from the same corporate family both don't need to write gamers. I wonder if Jackson's paper is going to chip in travel budget to Hattiesburg or bump the salary of the one lone USM beat writer. I will guess no.

The smarter move, and no offense to the Hattiesburg USM beat writer who I don't know, would be to get rid of him and have Tim do the beat for both papers if he wanted to do that. But that would mean keeping the writer with the higher salary.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner.

Draft saved Draft deleted