1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Claremont, NH, sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by big green wahoo, Jul 25, 2008.

1. JJobs...

This town is about half an hour south of the Hanover/Lebanon area and Dartmouth College. Very blue collar and hit hard by the downturning economy. Gritty might be the best way to describe it in a nice way.

Company: Eagle Publications, Inc.
    Position: Wanted:
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: August 29, 2008
    Job ID: 955631

Description:
    Wanted:Editor with sports background for our New England based newspaper. Competitive salary with good benefits, including health insurance, dental insurance, 401k, etc.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I can answer any questions about the company.

"Gritty" is right, bgw.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

It's not a bad area, though. You're about half an hour drive from Concord and you're not too far from the mountains. It could be a lot worse and the COL is likely going to be pretty low in that area.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I interviewed for a job there 15 years ago and I didn't get it. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere.
    I know Tom Curran (formerly of MetroWest Daily News and Providence Journal) worked there a long time ago.

5. Songbird

Not totally nowhere. Lebanon/Hanover is 25 minutes north. Concord/Manchester less than an hour east.

Sports are much better 25 minutes north. The cool thing is you get to see the Hanovers and Lebanons when they play Stevens.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Having lived near this area for most of my life and playing several of the local high schools from the area back when I was in high school, you'll get the opportunity to see some very good high school sports teams. Hanover always excels in track & field, baseball, lacrosse and tennis and basketball (somewhat) while Lebanon is consistently in the same races. You'll get to see a lot of the smaller high schools, too. Definitely a nice sports area, and you aren't far from Mt. Sunapee which always hosts numerous ski races and other sporting events.

7. Songbird

I'll go one further about Hanover: pound for pound, it's one of the top 3 high schools for sports in northern New England. What they do with the number of kids they have is beyond extreme. A lot of Olympians have emerged from Hanover/Norwich (Vt.) area.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Really? Like who?

9. Songbird

A few weeks ago, 800M runner from Hanover made the Beijing Olympics; he just started running track a year ago; was a XC runner.

Hannah Kearney made skiing moguls at the last winter Olympics.

The Hastings and Hollands in ski jumping years ago.
    http://www.skijumpeast.com/ath2.htm

Before I moved here a year ago there were Hanover/Norwich runners I think have the potential to make the Olympics in 2012 or 2016.

As for Hanover High, the school has won upward of 75 state titles the last 5-6 years between team and individual crowns.

Edit: Many of these kids could be the future of U.S. ski jumping. Spent many a frigid night atop mountains covering them.
    http://www.skijumpeast.com/ath3.htm

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Hanover High rakes in state titles, it's ridiculous. Lebanon has dropped off a bit from what they once were, but they still do well. Class I really displays some great competitive sporting while Class M/S is great, but be prepared for very, very small schools. Chances are in this area, you won't get a chance to cover any of the bigger Class L schools.

11. Songbird

Leb is a great school. Tough-nut athletes. Got to cover the girls hoops team win the title few years back when they set the defensive record for fewest points allowed in a title game. Boys track team has won 5 Class I titles in a row; state record (any class) is 8. Girls track is good, too, and A.C. finished her career with more than 30 state titles.

On the Vermont side there's Windsor (which has one of the sweetest gyms in the state) and Bellows Falls. Bellows Falls is a cool little school.

Back in N.H., Newport is Class M and does well in some sports. Fall Mountain boys soccer is pretty strong in Class I.

There's prep school KUA, which is spending lots of money to become a better program.

Auto racing is huge at the Eagle; as in you better cover the hell out of it.

Just a tip: The Valley News has gone after the Claremont area hard the last two years. I hope the next SE takes that as a challenge and covers its own backyard even better; can't be getting beat by an outfit 20 miles north.

Draft saved Draft deleted