1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Citizen Journalists may owe IRS taxes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jan 26, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Okay, I admit, I don't understand what all this means, but it seems to be saying that if you contribute content to a for-profit website, then you, the donor, would owe taxes.
    More, much more, at the link.
    http://www.stinkyjournalism.org/latest-journalism-news-updates-142.php

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd love to see someone battle the IRS and claim their free prose isn't worth squat.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Good. Make 'em pay. This citizen journalism thing is the single dumbest concept ever created by a business.
    Gee journalism is fun ... you can write about your favorite team for free. Go at it. Have fun.

I wonder why Best Buy doesn't have volunteer salespeople. It'd be fun to sell some of them computers and TVs.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Would be ugly if the IRS went after all those companies, but not at all unwarranted.

I can picture the prototypical blogger/videographer absolutely crapping themselves when they get a 10k tax bill for their hobby. Actually, can I film that? I'll bring my checkbook.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

so to avoid a potential gift tax, they'd have to admit what they do is worthless? hehehe

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can understand people doing a blog for free, but why write for someone else for free? I don't get it.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You get a rush when you see your work published in an established medium.

Quickly wears off, though.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's an honest mistake.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Great. Now what am I going to do on my furlough?

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The key is making the for-profit enterprises -- Huffington Post, the Fox and MSNBC platforms -- bill the contributors for the tax liability, so the citizen journalists make the link between their free content and the aggregator's revenues.

If it's just a tax bill, the fools will blame the IRS and immediately contribute another free blog entry whining about it.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You all can write for my website for only $4.99 a day, plus shipping and handling.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This is some amazing work by these reporters.

Draft saved Draft deleted