1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Citigroup's new wings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 26, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

FIX IT!

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

FH, the government can regulate industry through legislation, not a phone call from the White House.

This is the first in what I fear may become several problems with the bailouts.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

If they want the government out of the board room, they don't need to be asking for public funding for their businesses.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

They should sell it on eBay.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Legally, does a president even have the authority to do that?

6. three_bags_full

So you think it's OK for the White House to pick up the phone and tell Citigroup how to run its business because it got public funds in a bailout? That what you're saying 'beetus?

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

He put pressure on them not to do it, which I have to problem with. Don't you think it's disingenuous to ask for a bailout from people already suffering and financially strapped to turn around and buy another plane?

8. three_bags_full

You have "no" problem with it?

If you'll read my post above, I said Citigroup is absolutely wrong for doing it, but the White House has no business here.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not if owning the plane can be proved to be a cost savings over flying their execs commercial.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Citi already has a fleet of corporate jets. Under their current circumstances, the purchase should have been dropped. Telling Citi to do that shouldn't have been necessary, yet it was.

There's been way too much of the "business as usual" mentality by executives in the financial industry throughout this mess.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Really? Where were you when everyone in Washington was DEMANDING that the automakers basically take a vow of poverty and the UAW had to "reduce" its salaries to meet those of the FOREIGN AUTOMAKERS who do everything short of illegal to keep unions out of their plants? Did you feel the same way then? I don't recall you saying anything then.

12. three_bags_full

But what's the proper way to do it? A call from the White House isn't it, in my opinion. I'm pretty sure they've got their hands full with much more important things.

Draft saved Draft deleted