1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cities that need new stadiums

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Sep 6, 2007.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Having spent a little while Sunday afternoon stuck in the Edward Jones Dome pressbox elevator, I would say STL needs a new football stadium. But there's nothing wrong with the stadium, it's just poorly operated.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I hate to say it as a fan of the team and town, but Cincinnati blew it with that ballpark. The city wussed out on going to Broadway Commons or doing something truly unique and instead went to the river, again, which looks good on a postcard but doesn't have anything in the way of fun within walking distance of the stadium (unless maybe you go to Covington and get hammered after the game). The ballpark is no better than a B-minus, yes it's good as far as sight lines and baseball-specific stuff but it doesn't have any of the vibe of the Jake or Camden Yards.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

I don't like the view at all..you can see Covington in the distance...oooooooh.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

When Michigan Stadium was built, footings were placed on the east side for expansion. So if this had been done 30 years ago before the advent of luxury boxes, it could indeed have gone to 125K with a Spartan Stadium type upper deck.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

But could they sell out on a regular basis?

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I may be wrong, but I think the 125K max capacity at the new Cowboys place is in a concert configuration. The wiki page for it says the regular football capacity will be 80K.

Drove by it recently, though, and it's a big mother for sure.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

UM, provided it rebounds from this 2007 debacle, could sell 120,000 seats for the next 20 years without an issue.

So could Tennessee and a handful of others. (Penn State fans are a tad more fickle, and they were hopping off the bandwagon during the recent lean years.)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Seriously, probably not when home skeds include Appy STate, Ball State and the like when Michigan is on TV every week. It's why Michigan boasts of consecutive games over 100K in attendance rather than sellouts.Perhaps they could over the last 10-15 years or so, but not back in 1974 when the streak started.
    ANd honestly, if Michigan-Appy State is on ESPN PLus on Labor Day weekend, they don't get 125K in the stands...

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Full of drunken couch-burning community college dropouts?? :D :D

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

If Meeshigan wanted to expand it to 125K, I don't think there would be an issue.......For crying out loud, if you can get 109 to watch Appy State, who knows.

Draft saved Draft deleted