1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CITI to possibly pull Mets stadium financing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Feb 3, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That would be mine, and it definitely applies here.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I guess I know where all that extra money is going to go now that those cocksuckers have doubled my rate.

They need to fucking die.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Pretty much. My fiance is a VP at Citi who is basically putting together a presentation of her job duties which will soon be shipped over to Mexico since it's about $80K cheaper.

Help US!!!!

4. If they accept the bailout money, every member of the board of directors should be out cleaning parks on Saturday.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Fenian's slogan: The CCCiti never sleeps.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I can see why a company like Lucas Oil does it. It's got a strong core buying base, and it's a way to put its name out to the masses as a way to expand the brand.

I can't see why, say, Energy Solutions did. How many fans entering the stadium or watching a Jazz game have a need to find someone to dispose of their nuclear waste?

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So no TARP money will be used? OK, but that's still $20 million that could be used for something else. It's $20 million that could keep Citi from having to use $20 million of TARP money to do something else.

And yes, they jacked my rate up too. I find that to be bullshit of the highest order. I'd call and complain, but I'm pretty sure no one in Bangalore knows who the Mets are.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The government is the one giving them the money, hence, they can tell these companies how to spend it. If they don't want the government to tell them how to spend the money, then don't accept government money.

The first bailout bill didn't have any requirements on how businesses could spend the money. The next one is supposed to. I'm not optimistic it will, despite the tough words being spoken by the Obama administration. These companies love to find loopholes.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah buddy...
    Also explains why the rate on my Home Depot card went up too...

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Any company that receives government bail out money should also receive someone to look after how it is spent. And just saying "we're not using TARP money" doesn't cut it. That's like saying I'm not using any of my UI check to bet on sports. Well, you got to be responsible for ALL your assets, not just the ones handed to you in a self-made emergency.

Corporate naming rights are one thing I can live without. If it means dragging down spending and salaries, all the better.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I get it. Just pointing out the irony of a government that is $10+ trillion in debt telling a company how to be fiscally responsible.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The headline on this thread is incorrect. Citi would be pulling the naming rights of the stadium, not the financing of the stadium.

Draft saved Draft deleted