1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Citi-Field / 7 train advice (NY)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Layman, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Taking a cruise (Norwegian Cruise Line) out of Manhattan, leaving Saturday 6/8. Arriving in the city the day before, knocking another ballpark (Citi Field) off my list. We're spending the night close to Laguardia. Here's my inquiry.

Ideally, we'd like to arrive in that area late morning (drop the luggage at the hotel), park someplace, take the 7 train into the city for a couple of hours, then return to the Stadium for the game. Can this be done without moving the car? Is there a commuter lot at Mets-Willets Point? Or, someplace else, not too far down the line, that leaves us a short drive to the stadium?

Any other "can't miss" things at Citi Field?

Gracias....

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Where do you cruise from Manhattan?

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

West Side piers.

Layman, I don't know about commuter lots there -- I've never looked. But why not just leave the car at the hotel? All the hotels around LaGuardia are a short cab ride from the ballpark. When you return from Manhattan, the No. 7 train will takes you right to Citi Field.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

East Village? Chelsea?

5. cranberry

55th Street. Very convenient. They meet your car/cab with a luggage cart and you don't see your stuff again until you board and get to your room.

6. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

The cruise piers are right next to the Intrepid Museum. All I really know, as it'll be our first time sailing out of NYC. Every other cruise we've taken has been out of Florida.

Cran, is it pretty easy / reliable to catch a cab after the game? I'd love to just leave the car at the hotel (staying at the SpringHill Suites Laguardia, only a couple of miles away....love those Marriott points), just don't want my wife giving me THAT look, when we end up stranded at the ballpark.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Joke.

Cranberry's head.

8. cranberry

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/nym/ballpark/transportation/index.jsp?content=driving_parking

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Before we talk about the car / # 7 train we need to confirm there is a Springhill Suites at LGA. I never seen it and was trying to figure out where it was in relation to Citi Field.

Marriott site shows closest Springhill is at Newark Airport. Big Difference.

http://www.marriott.com/springhill-suites/travel.mi#/locations

My first piece of advise is to figure out what hotel you are booked at. If you can't figure that out you definitely are not ready for the # 7 train.

Perhaps you booked The Marriott. There is one of those.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If you're concerned about getting that look from your wife, I would not stay anywhere near LGA for any reason.

11. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Fail

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycqc-springhill-suites-new-york-laguardia-airport/

Guessing I'm as ready for the 7 train, as you are for your web browser....

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good you found it but if you go to the Marriott link I used and use New York State pull down it does not list the one in Queens.

Try it:

http://www.marriott.com/springhill-suites/travel.mi#/locations

Assuming it's there I would leave car at hotel and see if their shuttle will take you to subway to get to city and then cab it back to hotel after. It shows on Northern Blvd which you can almost walk from Citi.

Draft saved Draft deleted