1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cindy Sheehan throws in the towel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 29, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Maybe I could send one in now if I changed the operative phrase to "human sacrifice."

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Never said they did, BR. They sacrifice in service of a cause. The leader's job is to outline that cause and specify the nature of the sacrifice.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You also could give all kinds of incentives/disincentives to help spur the sacrifice along. Again, the big issue isn't people buying in, it's the oil companies making $50 billion a quarter.

That buys a lot of politicians.

4. IU90

IU90 Member

But most of those hummers/SUVs were purchased a few years ago. With what looks like a new permanent higher average fuel price plateau and all this global warming stuff, I'd be shocked if you don't see a dramatic drop in Hummer sightings the next few years. I mean, yeah we might now be too self-consumed to make the kind of sacrifices our grandparents did during the WWII years, but we can at least give up our Hummers Can't we?

5. KG

KG Active Member

I'm currently driving an SUV, but it's a 1998 4-cylinder 4Runner. Even so, giving it up to buy a compact car just isn't in the options for me. The 4Runner is paid off and I cannot afford another payment right now. So I agree, it's not always about what's going on right now. I've had it for about five years now.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You want to end a lot of this trouble in Iraq?

Tell Blackwater, Halliburton and KBR to take a hike. End the money wasting, inefficient practices of those contractors and you'd go a long way to cleaning up some of the major problems there.

If the military were running this war on every level things would be much different.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with people driving SUV's and Hummers, if that's what they choose, that is their prerogative. I just think that with the price of gas as it is, a whole lot more of them would be inclined to park them and take the bus but that doesn't seem to be the case, either.

Again, I can completely understand why the "outrage" over the war among John Q. Public is not nearly what it should be and is slowly but surely fading into apathy because a war in a land far away is abstract to most Americans...

I can't, however, understand why there is no real "outrage" over gas prices, which hit us every day in the wallet.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Problem is, America has become so self-absorbed that I don't see a collective willingness to sacrifice for anything but oneself. That's not a political comment or comment on the Iraq war, just my take on how society has changed (for the worse) in terms of recognizing what's important and acting accordingly.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That would be a good start, war or no war.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure America was self-absorbed in the Roaring '20s, too.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And look what that led to in the 1930's.....

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

We put the Democrats in power to get us the hell out of Iraq. If they can't muster up the testicular fortitude to stand up to a president with an approval rating of 28 percent, let's just create a third party right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted