1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati, you're on the clock

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, Jul 22, 2015.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They were going to watch a movie on a projector that night??
    What the hell is going on in the black community?

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Know what I'll bet that movie wasn't about?
    Abstinence.

Tarheel316 and poindexter like this.
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, you've got the guy for driving without a front license plate, probably DUI and maybe assault depending on the "struggle."

That's worth shooting someone in the head when they try to flee? Who is in danger at that point?

Why do so many police seem to think that's the right course of action?

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He was full of love.
    Now, he's full of lead.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Whoever he comes across on the road while engaging in a drunken police chase?
    Not saying that it's worth a bullet in the head, but there certainly was some level of danger to the public.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

With 13 kids, he probably needed to rent out a theater for movie night.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did any of the kids molest a sister?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't get this criticism. You have to have two plate sin Ohio:

Types of Ohio License Plates
    All motor vehicles owned by Ohio residents and operated on public roads are required to display license plates issued by the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV).

Most vehicles will have 2 license plates. Some vehicles, such as motorcycles and mopeds, only need 1 license plate.

Rear license plates must have clearly visible expiration stickers.

Ohio License Plates & Placards Information | DMV.org

It shouldn't be a "revenue grab" and it shouldn't result in such expensive fines that the someone pulled over remains trapped in the legal system for years by an inability to pay, but if you've got an expired tag, or missing plate, shouldn't you expect to get pulled over?

9. YankeeFan

As Batman said, if you've got a guy who's drunk, and speeding away, I think there is some danger in play. I think we'd need to know what the protocols are before criticizing his decision to fire a single bullet.

I also think it's funny that when the New York State prison escapee was apprehended, he was shot when the cop chasing him realized he would reach the tree line, and potentially disappear, before he could catch him.

And, every news organization repeated the official line that he was, "shot in the torso." LOL. OK. So he was shot above the waist?

No one ever reported or discussed that the guy, who was unarmed, was shot in the back, as he was running away.

I thought that kind of thing was supposed to concern us. But, I guess it really does matter how sympathetic the guy who got shot is, huh?

10. YankeeFan

Meanwhile, in Chicago, you can point a gun at the cops, and your neighbors will still blame the cops when they shoot you:

Two Englewood District officers on patrol were northbound in a squad car in the 5600 block of South Morgan about 1:40 a.m. when they drove up to a large crowd in the middle of the street, police Deputy Chief Carlos Velez said at the scene.

A man separated from the group and started to run away, reaching toward his waistband, according to Velez. Police claim he then pulled out a weapon and pointed it at them, and both of the officers shot him repeatedly.

Officers recovered a weapon, Velez said.

Chants of “No justice, no peace” broke out among dozens of people whom police tried to push back from the crime scene.

Residents said police pulled up on the block while they were having a memorial gathering to mark the anniversary of the death of a neighborhood barber who died in a car crash in New Orleans three years ago. They said the man shot by police was 23 years old.

Kareen Noble, a 32-year-old man who identified himself as a friend of the man shot, said the man was running away when police fired between eight and 10 shots from no more than 15 feet away, striking him at least twice in the leg and back. Noble said he didn’t know if his friend had a gun or not.

“They shot him in the back. They didn’t give him a chance,” Noble said.

A 26-year-old woman who identified herself as the cousin of the man shot said he had a cup in his hand, not a weapon.

“This is a family block,” said the woman, who declined to give her name. “They didn’t have to shoot him. Is it a crime to walk away from police?”

Chicago Police officers shoot man in Englewood | Chicago

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

YF,

I am sure you realize there is a big difference between an escaped convict up for murder and a guy pulled over for missing a front tag.

I wonder how much of a "struggle" there was and if the guy even got out of the car.

Seems police like to classify anything other than placid obediance as a crime: resisting arrest or assault.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why are you assuming the police are telling the truth, YF? Is it your experience that police tend to be scrupulously honest in such matters?

Draft saved Draft deleted