1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati Post says -30-

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ctr, Dec 31, 2007.

1. ctr

ctr New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A sad day on Court Street.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Great front, given the circumstances.

Best wishes to all the (former) Cincy Posters.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Kind of appropriate that this is the ad showing up with the thread
    [​IMG]

It's really sad to think a city as large as Cinci couldn't support two papers.

4. Heck, larger cities (Houston, Indy, K.C.) can't support two papers anymore, either. It's surprising Cincy supported two for as long as it did.

I saw the Post a lot over the years, and I always thought it was the better paper in Cincy. But the last few years, for the most part, it was a shadow of its former self.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

that's like being the tallest midget. the enquirer may be the worst metro paper in america. good god, it's a piece of shit. the post at least had an excuse

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'm wondering - when exactly was the Enquirer good (especially its sports section)? I first saw it in 1993 and it sucked then.

And worse - now it has no competitor to make it strive to do better (not that it did too much good when there were two papers).

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

RIP, Post.
    Scripps' stable of afternoon newspapers was 4 two years ago, but it's down to 2 and counting (with the impending demise of the Albuquerque Tribune).
    Best of luck to all of those going through the transition - as someone who did it 2 years ago, it's tough, and there will be uncertainty, but you will survive. A lot of us former Scripps afternoon guys are surely thinking about you today.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine what it was like for those who worked there today.

Good luck to all of them.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Wow, that's an incredible front.

Sad day.

10. Notepad

Notepad Member

I like the front. But, I have to ask, do you think many non-journos "got it."

I don't.

11. jeffshelman

jeffshelman New Member

I thought about posting on the other Post thread, but this one seems like a little more apropos place.

The loss of The Cincinnati Post is very sad for everyone involved. It's sad for the folks who worked there until the end. It's sad for the readers in Cincinnati (whether they realize it or not). And it's sad for those of us who used to work there.

I spent two years working at the Post (97-99) and they were the most important two years of my journalism career. The reasons are many. I was given more responsibility than most 25-year-olds are given in this business. I was taught how to truly compete against an opponent that had more resources and readership. I was taught to dream big on stories. Being an afternoon paper, we all had to look for different angles and approach stories in different ways -- a skill that I still use today.

My journalistic life changed greatly when I checked my home voice mail from the Illinois American Legion tournament in Mattoon, Ill. (Hello, Will) and he wanted to offer me a job. In a heartbeat I went from working at a crappy small paper in Illinois to covering a big college beat with a moody and sometimes PITA coach. I will be forever greatful to the folks at the Post because without that place, I don't know if I ever go to the Raleigh News & Observer or the Minneapolis Star Tribune (my current paper).

Now the place did have issues, no question about that. But the one thing I always appreciated about the Post was that we acted bigger than we really were. We covered as many big events as we could. We looked for ways to pick up another story when we were on the road. Our goal was to kick the Enquirer's ass every day and we accomplished it often. Todd Jones always likes to talk about how Boomer Esiason called the guys from the Post the guerilla warfare guys. It was probably pretty accurate and I'll wear that as a badge of honor.

Two more quick things:

1. This is how we did things at the Post. I covered a NCAA regional in St. Louis in '98 (Stanford beat Rhode Island in the finals). Anyway, Kentucky gets to the Final Four in the first year of Tubby Smith/first year after Pitino. UK is a pretty important beat at the Post because of the number of papers it sells in Northern Kentucky. Anyway, someone in the office notices the Pitino Celtics are playing at the Bulls the next night. So in Post fashion, I get up Monday morning, drive to Chicago, talk to Pitino before the game about Kentucky going back to the Final Four and write a story that nobody else in our market has. Those are the kind of things we did.

2. The list of former Post folks is pretty long. That's not exactly a secret. I don't know who came up with the line, but it's pretty true: It's not a big sporting event unless there are at least three former Post writers there. Next time you're at a big event, look around. It's a near-lock you'll see at least three.

Thanks to everyone who I worked with and learned from. Good luck to the folks that put out the final edition today.

Shelman

Draft saved Draft deleted