1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati Help?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BadgerBeer, Apr 23, 2012.

1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

We are heading to Cincy this summer to see a couple of Brewers-Reds games and I could use a little help. What is the hotel situation near Great America ballpark and what about nightlife/dining? Any ideas for fun during the day (Friday and Sat) and after the games? My wife and I are going with another couple, no kids, we will want some drinks so hopefully no driving. Thanks for the help.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It has been a while, but there's a bar (kind of dive-y) called the In Between which is within walking distance. I believe there's another sports bar right near the stadium, can't remember the name but I heard it is owned by Eagles tight end Brent Celek's sister, fwiw.

If you don't mind Kentucky, there's a bunch of restaurants and bars. Again, within walking distance.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The hotel and nightlife situation on the Cinci side is weak, but as mentioned, there's several hotels within walking distance on the Kentucky side. I've never partaken, but the Covington/Newport area has a ton of bars too.

Make sure you get some Skyline Chili ... I prefer it from the one on Ludlow just north of UC.

[​IMG]

If you're going in June, chances are, I will be attending one of the games.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yes to Skyline. Also yes to Graeters Ice Cream and Montgomery Inn (one of the few river restaurants on the Ohio side.)

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

One thing to be wary of in Cincinnati is that it's street system is totally confusing for someone who doesn't know it well.

Part of it is that the city is laid out on several different hills, but part of it is just Cincinnati's world-class inefficiency.

The interstates are relatively self-explanatory, but you can end up any which where on the side streets.

And yes, near that Ludlow Skyline, you can visit a neighborhood that still uses 1890s era gas lights.

6. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Montgomery Inn is by the river now? Huh.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Additional location. Go east past the stadiums.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Got on Hotwire and get a hotel right down town. I usually score a room at the Hilton for about $70 a night for a $150 room. It's about two blocks from the stadium. There is a cool Scottish pub right down town that is sweet. In the summer they show outdoor night time movies at Fountain Square, and there is a pretty good bar there as well.

You can walk across the bridge (or catch the shuttle for $1 maybe) to Kentucky. Go to the Hoffbrauhaus. That deserves repeating. Go to the Hoffbrauhaus. There is also a pretty nice Irish pub in the shopping setup nearby there as well.

There is a sports bar right across the street from the stadium, but I didn't think much of it.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I went last summer when the Yankees were in town, and I'm damn glad I had a friend with me for this very reason.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

When I was down last summer, I tried both Skyline and Blue Ash....much preferred Blue Ash though both were good.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The ribs at Montgomery Inn are not to be missed.

I choose to pass on Skyline chili and every other place that serves a chili/spaghetti combination.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'd probably do Kentucky for a hotel - there are a bunch right on the river, so all you have to do is walk across the bridge and you're at the stadium. As for night life, the area around the ballpark has gotten much better just recently. The area, called The Banks, has just added a bunch of nice new restaurants and bars (Toby Keith's 'I Love This Bar and Grill' and the sort). As for other entertainment, there's the Newport Aquarium nearby (nice, especially on hot days) and a ton of stuff around it. Google "Newport on the Levee" for more. A lot of folks park at the Levee on game day, too - again, just a walk across a bridge and you're at the ballpark.

Draft saved Draft deleted