1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CIA torture report

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Dec 10, 2014.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We're so bad we've lost "Gorby." That's almost as bad as losing Cronkite.

http://time.com/3630352/mikhail-gorbachev-vladimir-putin-cold-war/

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

The bottom line is that we won't see Obama... or any other President, for that matter... dare to condemn what happened, and prefer to sweep it under the rug, because the next thing you know, questions will be raised as to how much power ANY President will be allowed to have to decide what those in the executive branch are allowed to do to carry out foreign policy. This has been a problem arguably since Truman was president, definitely the case since LBJ was President, and has only grown ever since.

3. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Yup. For foreign policy, the party hasn't mattered much in roughly 70 years. The only one I can tell that made any kind of break from script was JFK.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

President Diem's family wonder's what you mean in regard to JFK

5. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

I'm wondering what you mean by President Diem in regards to JFK, who did not want him assassinated. He did support the coup, which was a mistake. NO president leaves the office with totally clean hands.
    Not to get too historical, but how did Diem take power initially? I wonder who had his back in the mid-50's....

Draft saved Draft deleted