1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CIA torture report

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

But you're OK with terrorists doing it?

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

No. Why is the default assumption that criticizing U.S. actions is the same as giving terrorists free rein?

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd say this report is pretty much in line with "who we are" as a country. Anyone who says differently must not have been paying much attention to the last 238 years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the United States ever ratified the amendments dealing with treatment of prisoners.

4. Mr. Sunshine

On one side, you have an arrogant, secretive organization that operates above the law. On the other, the CIA. Tough choice.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Probably going to be my favorite response of the entire thread. Nicely done, BC.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because you're either with us or you're against us.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The ISIS Inspector General's Report on beheadings is due out December 24 about 6pm, in a drop box they share with Al Jazeera.

We shouldnt Torture.
    If we do torture, we shouldnt admit it.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Anytime someone says, "I'm not going to get into my opinion ..." what inevitably follows is an opinion. :D

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's a report that completely ignores the times (right after 9/11) and the lives saved by preventing similar attacks that most definitely were planned. The report also ignores that Democrats were on the same mind from 9/11/01 till about election season 2004.

It's also a report on the CIA that didn't bother to talk to former CIA directors of the time.

http://www.wSportsJournalists.com/articles/cia-interrogations-saved-lives-1418142644?mod=hp_opinion

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I would like to know the evidence that draws a line between torture and attacks that were prevented. I don't care if the line is curved or straight, that the attacks were prevented the day before they were carried out or they just killed a guy who had a good idea for an act of terrorism at the weekly LA Law type of terrorist meeting.

I don't trust the government to tell me that actual terrorist attacks were prevented.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If you don't want to talk about the political agendas, how about just focusing on the facts of the torture?

The republican response diverts the attention to the conclusions about intelligence gathered, who was questioned, etc.; all context; what they do not take head on are the tactics that were utilized.

That's where the outrage lies, as McCain expresses; Just because the enemies do it does not mean the US should do the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted