1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Churchill Downs hit by tornado

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jun 22, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Like now, when in prime time they're showing a taped program instead of -- the weather?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

TWC kicked ass with its live coverage of the Alabama tornadoes.

3. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Security turning away reporters because of some loose horses:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=13908719

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Those hit during the day, when they had personnel in the building. It seems TWC automates everything in the evening now.

5. Inky_Wretch

From Twitter, one of the destroyed barns ...

http://yfrog.com/kl2t6gj

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Jesus. I love that they called that "roof damage."

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

They ran out of reporters to report on it.

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

CD reports all 1,400 horses on the grounds secured and accounted for.

9. Inky_Wretch

Yes, there's already amateur video on YouTube of the tornado.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Longer video here:

there is at least one "shit" in there so be warned. See tons of debris in this one. Around the 6-minute mark is amazing.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

What was absolutely amazing -- only word I can think of -- is that this storm was different than most storms we usually get in this area.

I took my son's team out to batting practice at a local batting cage when we hear sirens. At first, I'm thinking it's someone trying to break in to the storage facility across the street. It didn't sound like the civil siren. A parent had to notify me there was a tornado warning.

We were southwest of Churchill at the time. Skies were blue just to the north and south, but over us it was dark. I looked up at the cloud and could see some rotation but it was slow. 10-15 minutes later, Churchill was hit.

As much as I hate that it hit Churchill, I'm just thankful it didn't stay on land like the tornadoes in Alabama or Missouri. We had four hit. They weren't nearly as strong as the aforementioned tragedies nor did they really rip through residential areas. While some homes/apartments were damaged, it seems most of the damage was to non-residential areas.

And, while I hate to see Churchill get hit, I'm thankful we didn't get hit worse. Churchill will be back up and running tonight. From what I hear, they're expecting a decent-sized crowd.

Draft saved Draft deleted