1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Church announces pastor is marrying his daughter-in-law

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This isn't a happy occasion. I have no idea what's behind any of this, but it's a hilarious, harrowing read.

http://www.james417.org/news_release_022310.html

Solid Rock Church Pastor Steals Son's Wife
    Apostle Ministry Establishes Legal Fund To Help Son

Elk River, Minn.—(ICNEWSWIRE)—February 23, 2010. -- Senior Pastor Dr. Bill Matthews of Solid Rock Church in Elk River is accused by his family of stealing his own son's wife. Dr. Bill Matthews married Lorena Matthews on January 7, 2010. Lorena was formerly married to Andrew Matthews for five years. They have a daughter named Natalia. While Andrew was away on military duty in 2009, Dr. Bill Matthews moved Lorena into his house to care for his dying wife Mary. When his wife Mary died in April 2009, he immediately announced he was getting remarried and confided to one family member that very day he planned to marry Lorena, his son Andrew's wife even though Lorena was still married to Andrew. They divorced in August, four months later.

Dr. Bill Matthews' daughter Mindy writes: "[The] grueling details became abundantly clear. [My dad] had stolen my brother's wife, even hiring and paying for a divorce attorney for her, and now he is trying to steal his daughter! On January 7th, 2010 our dad married Lorena Matthews, in a ceremony performed by his so called 'spiritual father', Ed Dufresne, who saw no issue with the union. I guess he forgot to read Leviticus 18 or 1 Corinthians 5!"

Andrew is without the financial resources to fully defend himself against his own dad who is now attempting to "steal his daughter." As a result, Apostle Ministry has established a legal fund to help Andrew Matthews obtain full custody of his young daughter Natalia. Further information and details are available on the Internet at http://www.james417.org. Contributions to defray Andrew's legal costs can be made at this web site. Rev Edward G. Palmer, President of Apostle Ministry Inc, will administer the legal fund for the benefit of Andrew and Natalia Matthews.

Apostle Ministry is called by God to write about the end time apostasy, events and mythology prophesied in Scripture. The marriage of Dr. Bill Matthews to his own daughter-in-law is a direct repudiation of Scripture and is representative of the apostasy that will occur during the End Times. An End-Times discussion from Rev Palmer can be found at http://www.sevenmessages.com.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Boy, if I had a nickel for everytime I heard this;

"[The] grueling details became abundantly clear. [My dad] had stolen my brother's wife, even hiring and paying for a divorce attorney for her, and now he is trying to steal his daughter! On January 7th, 2010 our dad married Lorena Matthews, in a ceremony performed by his so called 'spiritual father', Ed Dufresne, who saw no issue with the union. I guess he forgot to read Leviticus 18 or 1 Corinthians 5!

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hell - this sounds like it is straight FROM the Bible.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ironic also that the father is a pastor and has the money to hire lawyers and such to make this happen while the son is a broke soldier.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

That's incest in my state.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Doesn't the daughter in law have some responsibility here?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Absolutely, but I don't think she is quite on the same level of disgraceful behavior as the father for what he has done to his son.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Doesn't it take two to divorce/marry?

9. Xsportschick

Xsportschick Member

Good gravy, this gave me a Hillsdale College flashback, though it has a truly sadder ending: http://www.salon.com/books/it/2000/01/19/hillsdale/print.html

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

She does, but nowhere near as much as this father. This sounds like some kind apostolic ministry, which to me means he's probably very charismatic, very adept at manipulating people like her, and very persuasive. She's probably a lonely, vulnerable younger woman, maybe quite naive. If they're living under the same roof and in constant contact, I imagine it wouldn't take long for his oily charm to work in seducing the woman.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Sick as hell. Truly sick.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'll say. Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted