1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chuck Noll - Gone and Forgotten

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Rare that you ever hear about one of the greatest NFL coaches. The guy won 4 Super Bowls- more than any other head coach.

From what I've read, by his own choice he faded off into the sunset but boy I would love to hear what he has to say about the current NFL.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Did you read Elizabeth Merrill's story on him from 2009? You're right, he'd prefer to just fade away.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?page=hotread19/chucknoll

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Kind of refreshing actually, in that nowadays every coach of some import of success (Cowher, Gruden, Urban et al) seems to find their way behind a microphone and into our living rooms.

4. Boom_70

It is refreshing but dam I would love to hear what he had to say just from a football standpoint. He lead the most dominant team ever in the NFL.

He is the JD Salinger of the Sports World.

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

The sense I got when I asked a couple Pittsburgh writers was that maybe he has dementia to some degree. There are a few hints of that in the Merrill story, the wife taking his calls, etc.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There have been rumors about that for years, which is a shame because he was such an intelligent man. He also had a reputation for being tough to the point of dirty when he was a lineman for the Browns.

I did get the opportunity to interview him as part of a group not long after he retired (thank you to my very well connected instructor for a college sports journalism class). He already seemed to have softened a little. But I have never been more nervous to ask anybody a question than I was with Noll because he had such a reputation for impatience with questions he didn't like.

I agree with you, Boom. I'd love to hear what he has to say about the current NFL. I'm just afraid that he is in no shape to do that any more.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Ukulele? Really? Thanks DD. That was a very enjoyable read.

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Tony Dungy's book gives glimpses at Noll as a coach.

9. Boom_70

Yes - good point - Noll was Tony Dungy's roll model.

10. Quakes

Quakes Guest

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Just saw his name on the celebrity birthday list within the last few weeks. He's 79. My understanding is he has miserable health problems, which may include dementia. His wife is ultra-protective and doesn't let anybody other than most inner of the inner circle get through the wall.

12. Boom_70

Very sad if he has dementia. All these old Steelers with brain impairments. Really starting to wonder what was in that water at Latrobe.

Draft saved Draft deleted