1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chuck E. Cheese: More fights than a sailor bar in Norfolk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

[​IMG]

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Local Sam's Club has a bubble-dome hockey game you can take home for under $400. It is not, however, SuperChexx or Thunderdome.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Sadly, I don't have the income or the room for that purchase. But dammit, would I love a SuperChexx game. Especially one where the Big Stick isn't out of whack. For some reason, the Big Stick is always stripped.... and who wants a limp Big Stick?

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Little Man had his sixth birthday at CEC just a couple of weeks ago. They've never served alcohol at that location and everything went about as smoothly as could possibly be imagined. I have no beef with CEC, although I definitely dislike most parents. :D

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Glad it was a smooth time, but the question remains: who won the bubble dome hockey battle? :)

7. No wonder you went away for a while.
    JUst out of recovery, are you?

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There should be one in every bar. One of the simple pleasures.

The last time I played air hockey, the ducts were messed up and it totally ruined the reexperience.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Bubble dome, not air hockey ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. We had a "Celebration Station" where I grew up, which I guess is a low-rent version of Showbiz/Chuck E. Cheese.

It became a big gang hangout. But then, so does pretty much everything where I grew up.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Conduct at Chuck E. Cheese described as 'madness'

JOHN C. WHITEHEAD, The Patriot-News/2008

The wobbly video shows a group of adults mulling inside Chuck E. Cheese's restaurant in Susquehanna Twp. Suddenly it pans left and captures a fight breaking out.

The 22-second clip, uploaded Sunday to YouTube, is the latest example of what police describe as a disturbing and bizarre crime trend: escalating violence among adults at a place designed for children's birthday parties.

Susquehanna Township police have been called to the restaurant on Union Deposit Road 12 times in the past year for reports of disorderly conduct, assault and theft. Those calls have resulted in 13 arrests, including six women -- five adults and a juvenile -- charged with disorderly conduct in a Saturday-night brawl.

In 2007, police responded to the restaurant 18 times for similar offenses.

"It's madness, absolute madness," Susquehanna Twp. Police Chief Robert A. Martin said.

Martin said he believes much of the violence stems from ongoing disputes among people who bump into each other in the restaurant. "They see each other at Chuck E. Cheese, and before you know it an argument turns into something physical."

The assaults also could be attributed to separated or divorced parents who attend a child's birthday party, he said. Such was the case in an April 4 incident, when police accused a man of slapping his estranged wife in the head at their child's party.

The violence at Chuck E. Cheese's isn't isolated to the Susquehanna Township restaurant. Last month, the Wall Street Journal published an article about a growing number of adult melees at locations in Brookfield, Wisc.; Topeka, Kan.; Toledo, Ohio; and Flint, Mich.

The number of calls at the Susquehanna Township location increased from 11 in 2005 and nine in 2006, Martin said. In late March, police broke up a fight involving 20 people.

Other Chuck E .Cheese restaurants in central Pennsylvania have had similar problems.

At the Manheim Twp. restaurant in Lancaster County, a man was arrested March 20 after police said he ran around the restaurant spitting and yelling he had hepatitis C. A week earlier, a 17-year-old Warwick Twp. girl was walking to her car in the parking lot when a man walked up behind her, grabbed her and tried to drag her away, police said. No one has been arrested in that incident.

A call to CEC Entertainment, Inc., which runs Chuck E. Cheese, was referred to the company's legal department in Irvine, Texas. Messages left Tuesday morning and afternoon were not returned.

In April, a company spokeswoman told The Patriot-News all the restaurants have security cameras to help ensure peace of mind for customers and the restaurants' workers who dress as the Chuck E. Cheese mouse mascot.

"As in our other urban, high-density locations, we rely on the local authorities and their advice to control situations such as the ones we have experienced in Harrisburg," spokeswoman Brenda Holloway said.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2009/01/conduct_at_restaurant_describe.html

Draft saved Draft deleted