1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chuck Culpepper on being a gay sportswriter, thanking Brendon Ayanbadejo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

l hired Chuck for The National. Later, he was one of my successors in loving Kentucky. I followed him, online stalker that I am, to Portland, Newsday and again at The National, this time the Dubai verson. I celebrated when we were reunited at Sports on Earth. He's all class all the time, when writing, when being Chuck. No one could have written that column better.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Everything else aside, I love how Chuck wrote that intensely personal column and still put the reader right there in the locker room with him.

Great writing.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Also does a very nice job with Ayanbadejo's role. For a second-tier player with seven career starts in nine years, the guy is going to have a commendable place in history.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I consider myself lucky to call Chuck a friend, though a distant one. We don't talk often, but he's always been unfailingly kind to me.

This comment on the column struck me:

When we lived in Kentucky (my parents still do) my mom wouldn't read the sports section, but she'd read Chuck. She always said he made it so you didn't have to know the sport, you just had to love a good story and reading about people. It's truly a gift he has, and he's carried it everywhere he's gone.

I'll send this to my mom, and she'll read it. And the next time I talk to Chuck, I'm sure he'll ask about my mom, though they've never met. He's that kind of guy.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

This was just lovely.

6. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Chuck has always been a favorite, and I can relate, sort of, to this. For me it was simply learning something so vital about someone I felt I had known for years because of his columns. In reality, we've never met. This was startling and simple and sweet.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I am tempted to say, "Who cares," simply because I believe that a person's sexual orientation shouldn't be anyone else's business, whichever way it falls.

But that is some mighty fine writing, and it sheds light on a subject that needs more light shed upon it.

I will say to my gay friends and colleagues, change is coming, and soon. When a right-leaning 57-year-old Southerner like me is willing to go to bat in favor of gay marriage, then you can be sure that change you seek is right around the corner.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Like Chuck, I'm amazed how far we've come as a society in just a decade or so on this issue. It's proof that the fight for civil rights is worth it, however incremental the gains 0ften seem.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Fabulous.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I love how he didn't come out and say, "I'm gay," to 51. That, to me, made the column - and, also, the exchange. They both knew what he meant. There are very few novelists or screen writers who can force themselves way from that kind of on-the-nose, spell-it-out line. But Culpepper could. Excellent work.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I crossed paths with him once in the late 1990s and one of my co-workers said in a hushed voice, "He's gay..." I don't know if it was a rumor then or if some people knew... I didn't care then and I didn't think twice about it.

He's one of those guys who everybody who has worked with or alongside him has nothing but positive things to say about him.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

There sure are a lot of cliched adjectives on this thread. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted