1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chuck Colson, dead at 80

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Apr 21, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Apparently he had a sign in his office: "When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Colson, with his trademark horn-rimmed glasses, was known as the "evil genius" of the Nixon administration who once said he'd walk over his grandmother to get the president elected to a second term. RIP

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

From his obituary.....

According to his biography, Colson "admits he was guilty of political 'dirty tricks'' and willing to do almost anything for the cause of his president and his party."

But he always denied a quote often attributed to him that he was willing to "walk over his own grandmother to get Nixon re-elected."

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I believe that is 1 Corinthians 12.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That may be the shortest post in your esteemed SJ career. :)

7. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

It actually was a lot longer, but for some reason there was a mysterious 18,500-word gap when it was posted.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I'm too young to remember the Watergate Chuck Colson, but everyone involved in that scandal was wrong for doing so.

I do remember the Chuck Colson who fessed up to his role in that, created Prison Fellowship -- a major Christian ministry to prisoners that has helped get peoples' lives turned around for the positive -- and who wrote several seminal Christian books, including "Loving God." It was hard for me to believe he could be involved in such a major scandal, because he put his political career behind him, had a religious transformation and became a major, major figure in the evangelical community in the decades after that. I generally don't listen to Christian radio -- my wife does all the time -- but his daily commentaries about current events were always on my drive to work, and I always enjoyed listening to them.

RIP to someone who, in the last three decades of his life, spent it being very influential for good.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Can't wait for Coked-up Brick Tambland to get a load of that post.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Brilliant.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Tell that to the prisoners who weren't Christian.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2003/11/jails-jesus

Draft saved Draft deleted