1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chuck Berry falls ill at show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jan 2, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

And not talking to them and treating them like shit. A good friend's father-in-law played behind Berry a couple times in Western PA and has some funny tales to tell.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If you wouldn't go see Chuck Berry or BB King play, you're one screwed up individual.

Seen 'em both -- and Willie Nelson about four times -- and, although I'm sure they aren't what they used to be, I bet they're still better than half the acts out there.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Winner of thread.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Bruce tells that story, among others, in Hail Hail Rock and Roll, a great doc that I caught on TV for the first time in ages a few weeks back.

Seen Chuck twice and he was awful both times. Walked out of the second show, the only time I can remember doing that for a gig I paid for.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I saw Chuck Berry back in the late 1980s at the Meadowlands Racetrack - it was an 11 p.m. or midnight show (after the final race of the night) that was free to anyone who paid to get in for the horse races.
    It was a good show. I still clearly remember at one point, during "Nadine", some crazy fan was trying to climb up on the side of the stage and three or four security guards pulled the guy down. Chuck saw this going on, stopped the show, said to security "What the hell do you think you're doing? Let the guy up to dance" and a minute later started right back into the song.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wonder how long the Stones are going to keep playing. They'd have to play 15-20 more years to be playing at age 84, like Chuck Berry.

I guess if John Paul Stevens can be writing Supreme Court majority opinions at age 90, there's no reason someone shouldn't be able to go on stage and perform at 84 if he's willing and able and there's an audience willing to pay.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

In unrelated news, Chuck Berry has been signed to play halftime at Super Bowl XLVI. And John Paul Stevens for Super Bowl XLVII.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I saw Chuck around that same time period at one of those outdoor amphitheaters and he was fucking awesome. Brought down the house with "Little Queenie."

"Meanwhile, I was STILL thinkin'... "

Draft saved Draft deleted