1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chronicle will slash 125, buries story...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chigurdaddy, Aug 3, 2008.

1. chigurdaddy

chigurdaddy Guest

Last summer's announcement of 100 layoffs at the chron was a pretty big story, but the paper's trying to bury what appears to be a bigger hit, announcing 125 buyouts targeted in a page 3 brief on Saturday. Doesn's say how many of the 125 are in editorial. Old news, I guess. The death of newspaper is no longer a story, judging by tepid response - only 12 readers replied to post.

http://reporter-g.blogspot.com/2008/08/more-of-same-san-francisco-chronicle-on.html

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Color me shocked. A quote from Frank Vega. Am sure he's doing his part too.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

What was once such a great market now seems headed for the Chron and the San Jose/CC/Oakland conglomerate and a bunch of local publications. The sheer number of legitimately talented writers and editors up there who have lost their jobs is a real shame.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If they really are losing $1M/wk, they probably have to whack people. That seems insane to me.

5. hankschu

hankschu Member

It's 125 throughout the building. I'm told 1,400 are eligible to apply for the buyouts, so that would be about 9 percent of the staff. There is a hope (pipe dream?) that since editorial has taken the brunt of previous cuts, it will be relatively spared this time.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Might be a good idea to put the city in the thread title.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, at this point, that might qualify as bad news. A lot of the poor saps who didn't raise their hands last time might be hoping to get out with money now and they'll be told, "No, never mind."

After, of course, identifying themselves as being willing to go, thereby screwing themselves in terms of advancement, opportunities and such.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Six years ago, I looked at a picture of the world's greatest newspaper men. I felt like a kid in front of a candy store. Well, tonight, six years later, I got my candy -- all of it. Welcome, gentlemen, to the Enquirer! Make up an extra copy of that picture and send it to the Chronicle, will you please? It will make you all happy to learn that our circulation this morning was the greatest in New York: Six hundred and eighty-four thousand!

9. Joe Williams

And after how many years was he going to have to sell that joint, losing $ at the rate of $1M a year?

10. How is 125 buyouts a bigger story than 100 layoffs? Hell, 25 layoffs is probably a bigger story than 125 buyouts.

11. sblust

sblust Member

The aforementioned Mr. Kane and his reporting staff.

[​IMG]

12. Joe Williams

Last imitated by Mr. Deford and his sportswriting staff.

R.I.P. The National.

Draft saved Draft deleted