1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christopher Hitchens and overrated

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I'll never tell, Jun 22, 2014.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

while I disagree that it's one if the 4 most overrated things in life, have you ever been to a reception or function where there's one bar for a few hundred people and even though it's open, you d gladly pay just to get there? The line is long and it's chaos and since it's open, many people don't tip, so the bar tenders are in no hurry. You end up ordering a beer because it's fast and not watered down.

2. Free. Beer.
    Free.
    Beer.
    I'm not seeing how this is overrated.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Bob Dylan.
    Bob Dylan's old manuscript.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

This. Oh, and Leonard Cohen.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Exactly. Or you end up tipping big on the front end so you get some service the rest of the function. I'd rather just pay for a couple drinks most times.

There are exceptions when event holders plan appropriately and multiple and sufficient bar service but even then, how much are you really going to drink?

FYI, all-you-can-eat buffets are overrated, too.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

You won't think open bar is overrated when they run out of booze at a wedding, which I have seen a few times. Will empty a room pretty quickly.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Willie Degel
    Willie Degel
    Willie Degel
    Willie Degel

He's over rated if you rate him an obnoxious douchenozzle.

Draft saved Draft deleted