1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christopher Hitchens 1949 — 2011

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Dec 15, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A man with a lot of good opinions -- based on his having lived as an adult, read the vast majority of the books which matter, and being well-aware who's truly worth hating and despising.

We should all do so well.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/dec/16/christopher-hitchens-appreciation-by-ian-mcewan

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wonder what good things he could have done if he not wasted so much time attacking religion?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...unless, of course, you consider his good deeds involved attacking religion, and in particular the frauds who profited from it.

5. What did Hitchens have against Borders Books?

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

“Many religions now come before us with ingratiating smirks and outspread hands, like an unctuous merchant in a bazaar. They offer consolation and solidarity and uplift, competing as they do in a marketplace. But we have a right to remember how barbarically they behaved when they were strong and were making an offer that people could not refuse.”

7. I thought many of his greatest moments were "Hitch-slaps" of religious pundits. He was a superb communicator, and it felt like there was no issue he was more passionate about.

8. Donald Rumsfeld @RumsfeldOffice
    So Rumsfeld was a fan of Hitchens. I know it probably bothers many on this board but I'm guessing Hitch was also a fan of Rummy.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I don't think he was a fan of any man. He seemed to judge each opinion on its own merit. On many neo conservative opinions they were of one mind.

Torture was not one of them. After Hitchens was water boarded, he said: "Let me waterboard Donald Rumsfeld and we'll see if he says it's torture or not."

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm not hungry for cheese today.

Draft saved Draft deleted