1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas Music Free for All

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Anybody like Trans-Siberian Orchestra. They were on GMA last year, and I was hooked on them.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My brother saw them live last year when their Christmas tour came thorugh Toronto. He said they were amazing.

3. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I saw them last month & they were fantastic. A couple of slow parts, but the majority of the show rocked.

4. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

A couple of years ago I started collecting alternative Christmas music on iTunes. I just got sick of hearing the same stuff, over and over and over again on the radio.

Some of my faves from my collection.

Back Door Santa, by B.B. King -- It's so infectious, I play it year 'round.

Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis, by Tom Waits -- It's Tom Waits. What can I say?

Rudy, by The Be Good Tanyas -- Nice harmonies, and a story that makes you think.

Rudy (the Ho-Dad Surf Dude), by The Malibooz -- "All of the other surf dudes/used to laugh and call him lame."

Please Come Home For Christmas, by Rockapella -- Funny, and great doo-wop harmonies, too.

Christmas in Hollis, by Run DMC -- Maybe I should have given them a listen years ago.

Santa Claus, Head Straight to the Ghetto, by James Brown -- It's James Brown. Case closed.

Red-Nosed Reindeer Blues, by The Asylum Street Spankers -- Not as good as their "Pussycat Song," but not bad.

Santa's Got a Brand New Bag, by The Bobs -- A new (twisted) twist on the old James Brown number.

The 12 Days of Christmas, by Yellowman -- A completely different take on the song than I've heard anywhere else, and now my favorite one.

and finally, Santa Claus is Back in Town, by Elvis -- The production is terrible, like a lot of stuff that old, but it's a keeper anyway.

MC, HH and HK from FOS
    8)

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ohhh, I'm sorry, "Wonderful Christmastime" to "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" is like Roger Maris to Babe Ruth.

Just sayin.

:D :D :D :D

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I really like Ray Charles' "Christmas Time" very cool and moody, though like a lot of Christmas songs, it suffers from bringing in some children's choir to sing at the end.

I also like Dean Martin's boozy, jazzy Christmas warblings, like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, where he calls him Rudy.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

[​IMG]
    This compilation is the bomb. Nat and Ella perform flawless versions of classics while Rawls and Wilson compliment the collection with some jazzier styles. Rawls takes the potentially lame "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and makes a damn cool song out of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you're the SOB who stole my boffo 8-track player and all my tapes out of my Nova!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. writing irish

The very SOB, it's true. BTW, the Marshall Tucker Band 8-track had a weird rattle inside it, and when I took it apart to see what was up, I found a one-hitter and some weed. Thanks!

10. writing irish

[​IMG]
    And I must also mention this damn fine collection by the idiosyncratic (and fabulously sexy) Holly Cole. Now there's a Canadian I'd eat like a chocolate-covered cruller.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yellowman's entire Xmas CD is good.
    Brave Combo's Hey Man It's Christmas is excellent. Version of "Must Be Santa" is out of this world. I like it so much I included it again on the Xmas CD.
    Did the same with "Carolina Christmas" by the Squirrel Nut Zippers.

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

If you ever have a chance, go see Holly Cole's holiday show. Saw it two years ago and she is amazing live.

Draft saved Draft deleted