1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas music before Labor Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stretch15, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

*rimshot*

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

1. I think that was my first use of charmion.

B. When you say "unreadable," what do you mean? It looks just fine in Safari. Is it not right on another OS?

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

1. Not really directed at you as much as some others on the board who wore it out.

B. I'm reading it in Firefox and each paragraph gets progressively narrower until there's basically like one word in each line midway through the page. Maybe I should try I.E.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look into it.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Let me get this straight: You willingly listened to the Rick Dees show every week AND 64 spins of "We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions" in one day?

Damn dude. You're like the Jack Bauer of music or something: Tortured incessantly yet never killed.

Let me note that I like Queen. But by God, I can't reach for the dial fast enough when those songs are played. I seriously think they're the most overplayed songs ever.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

How would you like to be the DJ for said Christmas radio station?

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Unless it's a mom-and-pop, it's probably no sweat.

A lot of corporations use "voice tracking" technology where the DJ reads the song intros and various liners into a computer, and the computer puts in the snippets between songs. A DJ can do a 4-hour shift in about 45 minutes (and often does it for multiple stations across the country.)

That is why it's damned hard to get a radio gig today. Fuckin' Clear Channel.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Back to the topic at hand — I agree that this Christmas thing is getting waaaayyy out of hand. We're just under 4 months out — it's kind of like selling bottle rockets in March. And we can't kill a Charlie Brown Christmas thread on this board, Charlie Brown.

The way it's moving, Congress should end all pretense and move Thanksgiving to mid-October to extend the "official" shopping season.

When's the Canadian Thanksgiving (if there is such a critter)?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

For a Jewish guy, I'm serious into "holiday" music as those who have received my annual CD can attest. Never too early.
    But I realize I'm very much in the minority there.

I'm dedicating this year's CD to Cosmo. It's called Charmions of the Holiday and I'm going to set up a booth in Tahoe so no one has to drive more than 15 minutes to get there.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You're a sweet guy, Mod. :)

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You think that's bad? I PT at Cracker Barrel, and we got some Halloween crap to sell in late July. My first reaction was "thank God it's not Christmas stuff," to which one of the managers said "that's on the next truck." I thought he was joking.

August 2. High temperature 102, hottest day of the year. I walk in the store to pick up my check and look at my schedule for the next week ... and see a fully-trimmed Christmas tree in the center of the store with baskets of Christmas crap on sale. Fuck me dead right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted