1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas music before Labor Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stretch15, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

As a kid, I remember looking forward to the day after Thanksgiving...not for the shopping, but for the Christmas carols that started playing on the radio.

Last year, a couple of local radio stations started playing the Christmas tunes on November 1st, which was a little crazy. Two months of Christmas carols is a lot.

However, this year takes the cake.

As I was driving down the interstate this morning to my 9:10am tee time, I was scanning through the FM stations and heard Nat King Cole belting out "The Christmas Song".

At first I thought it might be some kind of joke the radio station was playing...until I heard the radio tagline "97.5 - The Oasis. Playing Christmas carols 24 hours a day, 7 days a week".

Unbelievable.

Right now it's 75 degrees and sunny, and it is NOT beginning to look a lot like Christmas, I'm not walking in a winter wonderland, nor do I hear sleigh bells ringing. There could be some chestnuts roasting in some of our forest fires, but I digress.

Now every time I'm driving in my car and I scan through my stations, I'm going to hear a random Christmas carol for the next four months.

So is anybody else hearing Christmas carols right now on the radio, or is it just Salt Lake City's good fortune?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No carols here. How's the all-Osmond, all-the-time station?

3. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Fantastic. They just finished playing "Paper Roses" by Marie, and "Puppy Love" by Donny is coming up next.

Hopefully they will find time to squeeze in some vintage Jimmy.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

What I love is the grocery stores that sell Halloween candy in early August. Yeah, like I want nearly three month old candy for me my son when he goes trick or treating.

When I did the retail gig at Sears back in college, I had to spend one Labor Day taking down the patio furniture displays for Christmas trees. Apparently, the regional manager was coming to visit and wanted to see the dislays so he could then tell the other stores how to set their displays. I think I set up at least 12 faux trees that day.

Longest damn Christmas ever.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't hate Christmas, but I do hate Christmas music.
    With the exceptions: 'Adeste fidelis' and 'We Three Kings.'

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I saw Halloween candy on sale two days ago and thought the same thing. Who the fuck buys Halloween candy two months before Halloween?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You have to. Otherwise it will go stale sitting around at the store.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Sometimes stations do that shit just before changing formats.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Nothing can top what 104.5 in Philly did before it's last format change (it just changed formats again last week).
    A year or two ago 104.5 was changing formats to a "light rock" format with the call letters WSNY (or "Sunny 104.5"). So the day before the change, for 24-hours straight they played The Beatles' "Here Comes the Sun"

There are two radio stations in Philly that for the entire month of December will play Christmas music 24-7.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

During one format change, I must have listened willingly to Queen's We Will Rock You/We Are the Charmions about 64 times in one day.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Three notes:

1. This is why broadcast radio sucks.
    2. The "charmion" thing is about as trite now as the "every place is 15 minutes from Tahoe" line
    3. wenalway is all but unreadable, dye. WTF?

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He's having design issues, apparently.

Draft saved Draft deleted