1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas in June

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by friend of the friendless, Jun 2, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Congrats to FoF. Christmas is over but maybe people are buying it as NHL Entry Draft presents.

Unlike 99.9% of most hockey books, you can read Mr. Friend's latest tome without caring or knowing anything about the sport.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Indeed, congrats to Mr. Friend O'. His new book would appeal to people who are into sports as scouting is the same business whether it's hockey, baseball or football.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr R,

It's funny but a lot of the kids going to the draft this year or anytime soon have been reading it. Hodgson, Duchene and Hall among others talked to me about it when I've interviewed them this year. (Hall wanted to know exactly what Crosby was paid by Rimouski, probably to see if he was being shorted by Warren Rychel. But I digress.)

YD&OHS, etc

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hell, I'd love to know what Crosby was paid in Rimouski. If Rychel gave Hall his empties to return he'd probably come away with a good buck.

On one junior team bus trip that I'm familiar with - four people (two players, two staffers) - were reading Mr. Friend O's tome at the same time.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Troops could start a FoF Book Club.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yes, I was one of the staffers....

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thing is, I needed something to line the birdcage with, FoF, so I figured a dozen books would be enough paper to last for the next year. I just picked a book randomly, though.

Seriously, congrats. Earning out the advance is one thing... We want royalty checks!

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sir,

That's an amazing story -- not that they were reading my books ... that they were reading any books!

YD&OHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted