1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas For Mr. Slappy!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Release The Hounds!

Detroit's Perry Farrell Exits Quietly, if Angrily
    Just over a year after the Detroit Free Press endured its Mitch Albom affair, an 18-year sportswriter left the paper today after an incident in which "I should have paraphrased instead of quoting."
    Albom, a star columnist at the Free Press and an author, was administered unspecified "discipline" after a very public airing of an ethical breach in which he wrote about a basketball game that had not yet occurred.
    The outcome in the case of Perry Farrell, however, was starkly different. Farrell left quietly, if angrily, with no announcement and a terse statement from Editor Paul Anger when Journal-isms asked about him.
    "If it's a personnel issue, we don't discuss," Anger said through a secretary. She declined even to confirm that Farrell had left the paper.
    Farrell told Journal-isms, "I was put in a situation at the Free Press where it was obvious they didn't want me around. In their struggle to get breaking news in the paper, they didn't want someone of my experience to do that."
    Farrell said he had three beats in nine months, going from covering the NBA's Detroit Pistons to reporting on colleges and then on high school sports in western Wayne County, Mich.
    In the incident in which "they tried to build a case against me," Farrell said he had taken some quotes from a Web site from two sources whom he had spoken with and whose comments he had on tape. "I should have paraphrased instead of quoted" the Web comments, he said. "It's hardly something" that should have had such an effect on an 18-year career, Farrell asserted.
    "We don't have enough minority representation in high-ranking positions in our newspapers," Farrell, 48, added. "If I was a white guy with this experience level, I'd be a columnist for a major paper."

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. Gaaaaaagggghghghghghhghghhghghghghghghg!
    My headline's better, though.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well, there is that. Yes.

5. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Who knew that the lead singer of Jane's Addiction moonlighted as a sports writer?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He did.

Did you know there’s a sports reporter at Knight Ridder named Perry Farrell?
    You know how I know that? I get those Yahoo! [news] alerts, and [one day] I go, “Oh my god, Shaquille O’Neal and me in the same story? I can’t wait to read it! What’s it about? Shaq mentioned me as his favorite? Is he going to Lollapalooza?” Then of course it goes “and Perry Farrell writes.” And I go, “Oh.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8501662/site/newsweek/page/2/

Draft saved Draft deleted