1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas Columns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

using exceptions to the norm are shitty approaches to making arguments.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know I've bashed him on this board before, but I think Rick Reilly did a pretty funny sports-themed "Christmas letter" that was pretty good. He's also done a weak Dear Santa column too.

If you have to do one be original. Perhaps cast Arthur Blank as Jimmy Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life" or do a Christmas Carol rip-off, maybe even a "Gift of the Magi," but "Dear Santa's" are weak and they've been done to death.

If you do one, make it original and unlike anything you've ever read before.

3. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

If you're referring to the Murray column as an exception to his norm, he did something along the lines of a Christmas column most years that I can find. He also did a great mock Christmas letter. But again, doing a Christmas column was more his norm than his exception, it looks like to me.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was referring to murray.

5. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

The Murray column is crap but at least it's vaguely amusing crap. It's probably 10,000 times more intelligent and acerbic than your standard Christmas column. And unless you're Jim Murray, you shouldn't attempt this because you're not good enough to get away with it.

Similarly, you should never write a column about a "conversation" you have with a fictional friend. It's pretentious and ridiculous and unless you're Mike Royko, you're not good enough to pull it off.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

truer stuff never has been spoken.

7. Q-Bert

Q-Bert Member

More importantly, who is Greg Moore? Who did he replace at the Star, or is that a new position, or have I not been reading the Star enough?

Draft saved Draft deleted