1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas cards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 12, 2012.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Right after I do my Festivus cards.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What happened to Christmas cards that don't feature a picture of your family - no adults, no kids, no pets?

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Does anyone write the annoying "year in review" letter?

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Forget one picture of your family. That's so 20th century. Send this:

[​IMG]

with the QR code set to go to a slideshow of pics of your family. Then laugh as your technologically illiterate family and friends wonder what the hell you sent them.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This year we just did a single family shot. We always have a family shot... One year, it was the family shot, plus school pics of the boys...

I always think the ones where it's just the kids are the people who are embarrassed to show their friends how much they've aged. :D

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm in Afghanistan, so it was kids-only this year. Next year I'm sure we'll do the whole family.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I both love and hate those. I love making fun of them and hate that people actually write them. At this point with techonology being what it is, I'm familiar with most people's lab results. And I see their kids and dogs on the internet, and I know where everyone is working or not working because they're on Facebook all goddamn day. I'm fairly certain that I know more about most of my friends and family than I've ever known before, so I don't think the letters are really necessary anymore, except in certain circumstances. They tend to come across as kind of braggy and self-centered these days.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

She's right.

Who are you giving a card to that you are not already a Facebook friend?

But, you cannot hang up a Facebook page in your house.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I'm not talking about pictures. I think those are sweet. I'm just talking about the long letters with everyone's accomplishments listed on them. I don't need the family resume because I'm not hiring this year. Maybe next year.

10. Several years ago, I made a color front page with updates on the kids, printed it out for parents and in-laws, plus grandparents, and laminated it.

Now I stick with simple cards.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

See, I think that's cute. Especially when you're talking about giving it to grandparents and it's mostly kid-focused. The adult stuff is what drives me crazy.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This surprises me.

I would have laid a million dollars down that you'd deleted them.

Draft saved Draft deleted