1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CHRISTMAS BONUS, 2010 STYLE

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Dec 3, 2010.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Our coupons were for 25 percent off any purchase made between Dec. 1 and Dec. 6.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Never got a Christmas bonus anywhere I've worked.

The closest I can come to a Christmas bonus was when the manager of the previous call center I worked for gave me a $50 gift card to a local mall (a very large mall, actually). Besides that, the woman who was my boss when I was a student worker at my community college's library during my freshman year gave me $5 cash in a Christmas card.

The publisher at my previous shop bought me a box of already stale cookies.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

One previous employer gave us clothing some years (clothing they received for free, BTW), and threw in a $100 mall gift certificate one year that I used to buy my first cell phone (1997).

I never expect anything extra. My employers pay me, let me keep my job, why should I get a bonus because it is Christmas?

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

SpeedTchr ... I feel the same way. I am so thankful to have a job, much less one that I love from the bottom of my heart.

Merry Christmas, to you and all.

holy bull

5. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

How many employees hanged themselves shortly after?

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

This man agrees:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I had an editor who said he got a small crate of oranges and a picture of the newspaper owner in front of his car collection as a bonus.

8. Careful, it's a trap. Don't open that jelly package! It's just a trick from the Star Whackers.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I worked at a Scripps paper for 12 years. Never got a monetary bonus, and their "bonus" gifts were suspicious. I missed out on the best one, though (blue font! BLUE FONT!) A few years before I signed on, the staff was given robes. Ugly-ass robes with the paper logo on it that were about as thin as a sheet of paper. Probably cost the paper about 50 cents each.

OTOH, the last six years before the paper folded, I was in charge of the clerk staff. I always gave them (3, then 2 for the last couple of years) $100 out of my own pocket. My thought: These people spend 11.5 months out of the year getting absolutely shit on, and we can't do better than a robe? Or a glass vase with the paper logo on it that probably cost $5? C'mon...

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

In more than a decade, I've never received a bonus. The year one former company gave them out, I'd quit weeks before. C'est ca.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I recall a couple holiday bonuses earlier in my career, in the mid-1990s, when I worked for weekly newspaper chains. At the time, I didn't think $50 was so hot, but it's been crickets since then.

However, there have been some fun holiday parties over the years ... some thrown by the publisher/owner, others organized by the newsroom. I'm grateful for all of them, especially to distract us from the heavy workload at a newspaper during the Christmas season.

And I miss the crate of citrus fruit my boss at a weekly paper in the U.P. used to give me each year. Seriously, it was a huge box filled with grapefruit, oranges, tangelos. Great stuff.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Never got an actual bonus. My old shop had a holiday party one year (well, I only went one year) and they entered us in a gift raffle. I won a massager. Our publisher won the top prize, a DVD player.

Draft saved Draft deleted