1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christine Brennan's column

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by runningman, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

If she wants to play with the adjectives, so be it. I'll respect the argument and go so far as to say that she's right.

But I'm happy that people have seemed to realize that the pre-National Championship suggestion that should Florida win, it would be the first school to hold the men's basketball and football titles in the same year, wasn't correct. Not only did the men's basketball team win in 2006 and the football team won in 2007, but it's not even the same academic year. That just irked me.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That is the point. It wasn't worthy of a column. It could have been a notebook item.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

She has one knee that looks like hamburguesa, though.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This has been bothering me for a while. Who the hell is that woman in your avatar?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Brennan is right in saying the announcer should have used the word "men's," but I think the column was a definite stretch. And it absolutely hurts the column because it comes from her, because she does this far too often.

The sad thing is Brennan is a much better columnist when she goes into other topics. When she writes about women's sports, she seems to keep coming back to the same points again and again. Or worse, she does something sloppy like focusing on Maryland instead of Tennessee.

I understand the idea of Maryland as the future, but are you going to tell me Pat Summit is irrelevant now? Hell, I'd love to hear somebody ask her about this. Nobody is more qualified to speak on this topic and if Brennan wanted to make this point, that is where she needed to go.

I like women's basketball. Always have and it definitely deserves recognition. But to say it is equal to the men's game is PC overkill and nothing more. The game is slower, smaller and not nearly as fundamentally sound as proponents of the women's game would lead you to believe.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Picking nits?

[​IMG]

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

We're engaged to be married.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When I was a kid I used to love watching Old Dominion's women's team. I don't think I can remember her name correctly, but didn't ODU have a point guard named Misty Blue? Circa '77 or '78? Maybe '79?

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've said it once and I'll say it 100 times, if we get rid of that bullshit "Lady (name the team here)" crap, a lot of these belief systems will change at least somewhat.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The women need to switch back to the Friday-Sunday schedule for the Final Four.

Maybe they could change the name of the game to baseketball, and then bring in Jenny McCarthy as a spokesidiot. She's got that spunky, I-fuck-my-producer attitude.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Completely agree. Can't believe anyone actually still uses this.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Oh, I couldn't agree more on the "Lady (insert nickname)" nicknames! This is particularly true when it doesn't make any sense.

Years ago, I was at a newspaper that had two such nicknames that made absolutely no sense. "Lady Bulldogs" (Hello, a female bulldog is a bullbitch, just call them Bulldogs!) and "Lady Stallions" (the last I checked a female stallion would be a mare!)

At least most of the ACC has gotten rid of those nicknames. Even though you'll never see Duke women's teams called the Lady Blue Devils or the UNC women's teams called Lady Tar Heels in any official release or on their respective Web sites, you hear broadcasters erroneously use those nicknames. I think N.C. State's teams officially are the "Wolfpack women."

To me, the only "Lady" nicknames that have enough tradition to stick are "Lady Vols" and "Lady Monarchs."

Draft saved Draft deleted