1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christine Brennan's column

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by runningman, Jan 11, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You are correct, sir.

And beach_bum is right: she should have used Tennessee in her column. Not exactly the hardest research to find, considering you're only looking from 1982 to the present.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I'm usually fairly PC, but this is PC run amok, over a technicality hardly any reader would give a darn about. And I think Pat Summitt is secure enough about her program's place to not have a problem with giving Florida its props.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, perhaps it was. I'd certainly feel bad if i had made it.

But that doesn't change the fact that, as Brennan's column points out, the ESPN ticker still shows NCAAB and NCAAW.

Not that I'm advocating deferring to The Leader, but there might be an element of technical correctness to referring to the sports as college basketball and women's college basketball. Certainly enough correctness to outweigh the anti-political correctness.

And it certainly wasn't worth a column.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

She's not demanding reparations. She's simply pointing out a mindset that clearly, as this thread proves, still exists.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Unless there is some reason that the 1998 Tennessee Women's Basketball team was better than the 1998 Men's Kentucky Basketball team, Florida is the first team to hold both the Football and Basketball Crowns.
    The better argument against Florida is that the basketball won it's tournement in 2006. The football team won in calender year 2007.

6. Johnny Dangerously

I don't understand your argument about 1998, abbott, unless you are saying that the NCAA regards the men's basketball championship as more valid than the women's basketball championship.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And what "mindset" is that, J_D?

Spell it out, and I'm afraid that you'll find the argument isn't actually there.

8. Johnny Dangerously

It's so self-evident as to be unnecessary to point out.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, J_D, for all the gains women's hoops has made since the days of Immaculata, I can't think of many Division I campuses where football and men's basketball aren't 1-2 or 2-1 (Tennessee being one of the exceptions most years, unless the men's hoops team was having a rare big-time season). So in the context of the coverage of a men's event, the reference as said is perfectly understandable and a slight to no one. So I guess when UConn's men and women won the N.C.A.A. titles in the same season, we should have just said UConn held two basketball titles at the same time, not the men's and women's titles at the same time? That kind of stuff causes people to turn away when it's time to deal with truly meaningful instances of gender prejudice, like unequal pay for equal work.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I was surprised she didnt work figure skating into it, but that's just me...

11. Johnny Dangerously

I stand by my reporting.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Christine Brennan: Women's basketball doesn't get the respect it deserves when men's basketball can go by the title of, simply, "basketball."

Men: What a whiny bitch! Save it for the really important social injustices! Frickin' blowhard! This is why legitimate thinkers don't take you chicks seriously!

Draft saved Draft deleted